Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In ground pool with no main drain

1. Back To Top    #1

In ground pool with no main drain

Our PB wants to sell us an upgrade to a pool without a main drain.

It consists of a Hayward ecostar variable speed pump, low returns for better circulation, and 2 skimmers. This will be for an inground pool approximately 33 x 17.

Is this a good option? Can you really achieve enough circulation without a main drain? Any advice would be appreciated.
    32x15 freeform gunite pool (approx 15,000 gallons) with a 7x7 raised spa with 2 spillovers - tanning ledge with 2 bubblers - All Hayward Equipment - ARQ15 SWCG - 400btu heater, 60sq ft DE filter - 2HP EcoStar VS pump - Oklahoma flagstone coping - MasterTile MASMIX 3 1x1 - Sundek - Crystal Stones Smooth Caribbean Blue - TF-100 - Doheny's Discovery Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: In ground pool with no main drain

For a fairly standard pool without any waterfalls or other major water features, a variable speed pump is only worth it if your electric rates are $0.20/kwh or higher. Otherwise you will never pay back the extra up front costs. With low electric rates a two speed pump is a much better choice.

While it can be really nice to have a main drain sometimes, it certainly isn't required and does not affect the pump choice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a 38 x 18 inground rectangular pool. One speed pump, one skimmer, 2 return, no main drain. I have NO problem with adequate circulation. I would add that I tend to use pump >8 hrs day.
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the information. I'm not as worried about the energy savings as I am with the noise. I was told the variable speed pumps are much quieter. Is that true?
    32x15 freeform gunite pool (approx 15,000 gallons) with a 7x7 raised spa with 2 spillovers - tanning ledge with 2 bubblers - All Hayward Equipment - ARQ15 SWCG - 400btu heater, 60sq ft DE filter - 2HP EcoStar VS pump - Oklahoma flagstone coping - MasterTile MASMIX 3 1x1 - Sundek - Crystal Stones Smooth Caribbean Blue - TF-100 - Doheny's Discovery Robot

5. Back To Top    #5

My pool also has only one skimmer and two returns, and while it works, there are many times I wish it had a main drain, so much so that I am strongly considering doing a major renovation next time it needs a new liner, and part of that will be adding a main drain. As to the pump, you might consider getting a 2 speed pump, they are considerably cheaper than the variable speed models.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

I like having a drain.

It always seems to happen that just after I vacuum and put everything away I spot one or two pieces I missed. So I set things to pull from the drain and gently brush the stuff downhill to it, and it gets sucked away.

Normally I get maybe 30% from the drain. I don't have that temperature stratification some pool have. Low returns would probably accomplish the same thing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

My pool is a 28 x 14 and we have two main drains, 4 returns, 1 skimmer and two jet spas in the steps. I am glad we got the main drains as they are handy pumping off water when we get a lot of rain. With out a main drain how do you pump out excess water?
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu07
    My pool is a 28 x 14 and we have two main drains, 4 returns, 1 skimmer and two jet spas in the steps. I am glad we got the main drains as they are handy pumping off water when we get a lot of rain. With out a main drain how do you pump out excess water?
    From the skimmer - you never want to drain below the working level of the skimmer anyway
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Both variable speed pumps, and two speed pumps, running on low speed are much quieter than any pump running at full speed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks to everyone for all the info. I don't think I'm going to go with this PB. Another one I met with quoted me all Pentair products with a choice of a 2 speed Whisperflo or a Challenger. I felt like the no main drain wasn't really an "upgrade" anyway.