hot tub folliculitis

So my daughter got a mild case of hot tub folliculitis and the doctor says the spa has to be treated. I called my pool guy who said that the pool and spa already have too much chlorine in the water (he had shocked the pool that week), so there wasn't much else that could be done. Any suggestions? Any additonal things I could do to treat the spa?

Thanks,
Lloyd

We would really need to know what the actual chemistry levels are in the tub before offering thoughts.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Obviously being a hot tub it is easy enough to replace all the water ... but I do not know what needs to be done to sterilize it.

Keeping elevated levels of chlorine, relative to the stabilizer if used, will kill everything in it though.

I would consider getting a test kit to take a little more control of it, but honestly I an not sure what kit/tests to recommend. A FAS-DPD chlorine test is certainly the easiest to be the most accurate.

Oh wait. This is a pool spa combo. Definitely get one of the recommended test kits linked to in my signature. And with a full set of tests we could certainly help you take control of your pool.

Does your pool guy understand the CYA / FC relationship?

Reading through pool school ... button at the upper right ... will help you understand your pool and make you better able to ask your pool service better questions at the very least.

A SWG pool does not affect the kits we recommend. You may consider adding a test to get your salt level, but that is kind of optional.

I recommend the TF100 as it has more useful volumes of the reagents you need, but the K2006 is fine as well. The key is the FAS-DPD chlorine test ... you are unlikely to find it locally.

Please ask any questions that you have and someone is usually around to help quickly.

Again do yourself a favor and read Pool School. Odds are in less than an hour you may know more than your pool guy :smile:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.