Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question for those with in wall skimmers . .even mods

1. Back To Top    #1

Question for those with in wall skimmers . .even mods

Ever since putting in an in-wall skimmer (I did hydrotools widemouth mod on intext 16x42). . I am noticing I frequently now have to bleed air out at my intex 2650 pump/sand filter. I do this by slightly unscrewing the lid for the strainer basket on the intex pump until it bleeds out then tighten it back. I am wondering if waves/splashing that goes through the skimmer introduces air. I never had the issue with the standard pool inlet or the above wall intext skimmer. I did put the door on the skimmer that floats the door up when not running but it still swings open and waves make it all the way through the skimmer. Any ideas, suggestions, or advice would be welcome.
    Phil
    24' Round Above Ground, Metal by SOLEX
    Heat Pump, Focus Temp INSTAMAHK 80
    Hayward S-180T Sand Filter
    Hayward Ultra Pro LX Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question for those with in wall skimmers . .even mods

Two most common problems with skimmers causing air in the pump, is not having the water level high enough and having the weir door stuck closed(not free floating).

What is the height of your skimmer opening and where is the water level on it?

Is your weir door swinging freely?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. The door swings freely. My level is now about half way due to splashing and evaporation. I installed it about 3/4 way but water level has fallen. Sounds like I need to add water.

4. Back To Top    #4

When there's no splashing going on do you still get air in the pump basket?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    When there's no splashing going on do you still get air in the pump basket?
    Hard to say because the kiddo lives in the pool. I think it may be cause the skimmer is only half way with water.

6. Back To Top    #6

When it's running do you have a vortex forming in the skimmer? I did, and it was causing the problem you describe. I made a "vortex breaker" by placing a short piece( 6") of 1" PVC pipe into the skimmer on an angle that prevents the vortex from forming and introducing air into the system.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jerallen
    When it's running do you have a vortex forming in the skimmer? I did, and it was causing the problem you describe. I made a "vortex breaker" by placing a short piece( 6") of 1" PVC pipe into the skimmer on an angle that prevents the vortex from forming and introducing air into the system.
    I'm not sure what a vortex looks like. I have seen a little tornado/whirlpool in it. I thought that was normal. Never had a skimmer before.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGillis
    I'm not sure what a vortex looks like. I have seen a little tornado/whirlpool in it. I thought that was normal. Never had a skimmer before.
    tornado/whirlpool = vortex.

There should not be one. Are you able to reduce the flow from the skimmer? if not, you may need to use the trick mentioned above.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilGillis
    tornado/whirlpool = vortex.

There should not be one. Are you able to reduce the flow from the skimmer? if not, you may need to use the trick mentioned above.
    Ok. No way currently to regulate. I'm having a hard time visualizing what you did. Thanks for the help.

10. Back To Top    #10

Sounds like they just set a piece of pipe in the skimmer basket so that the circular flow can not develop into a vortex.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

The basket will normally take care of it but adding something to break the whirlpool may be required.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit