Blue milky water & no FC

Mybay

Jun 2, 2012
I have an 25,000 gal. IG pool with a vinyl liner that is a milky blue color and won't hold FC no matter how many lbs. Of shock that is added. Every time I go to the pool store I'm told something different. The last being that I should ignore my pH until FC holds. My levels are as follows:
CYA 72
TC 1.6
FC 0
PH 6.8
TA 133
can you help? We have $400 in chemicals & haven't put one foot in! Funds are running out & husband wants to fill it in!
Thanks

Welcome to tfp, Mybay :wave:

First adjust you ph until it is 7.2-7.4 using borax (20 mule team stuff from walmart, grocery store, etc.) or ph up. Use poolcalculator.com to figure out how much to put in.

Then you look at this thread, it explains how to clear your pool including the shocking process (it is a process not a one time application of some product) that we recommend: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/defeating_algae

A couple of things to keep in mind:
1. Your cya (cyanuric acid) level is pretty high. I would not put anymore in. It is in trichlor pucks and dichlor powder, so stop using those for now. Liquid chlorine/bleach is all you need for now.

2. Get an appropriate test kit, pool stores are notoriously unrelaible. There is a link my sig...I like the TF100.

Ok so my levels are up! PH is 7.2 & FC is a 3. Do I understand the instructions right that I continue to test every couple hours & add bleach if my level drops and do nothing if it is holding?

The FC must be held at 20, if it starts to drop below, you are giving the algae a chance to get restarted. Check the FC level every hour and use the pool calculator to determine how much more needs to added. It should start to hold better after a few hours at that point you can check it less frequently.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.