Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Soda Blasting material as a cheap source of baking soda

1. Back To Top    #1

Soda Blasting material as a cheap source of baking soda

I'm just getting started with my first pool and intend to follow the BBB method. I searched around but haven't found anyone talking about purchasing baking soda used for soda blasters instead of arm & hammer boxes at the grocery store. I happen to have a soda blaster and I purchase 30lb bags for about $30 from harbor freight. As far as I know, this is straight up sodium bicarbonate, so it seems to me like it should be fine. I wouldn't bake a cake with it, but is there any reason not to use it in my pool?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Soda Blasting material as a cheap source of baking soda

The MSDS doesn't say exactly what it is. It seems to be primarily baking soda, but what is "Proprietary Sodium Bicarbonate Based Mixture - Sodium Bicarbonate"? There may be some binder in there...

I guess you'll get to be the guinea pig.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I've seen baking soda in the grocery store for half that price (on sale).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Around here you can buy 50 lb bags of sodium bicarbonate for $22. That is 44 cents/lb the price you found for blasting soda is $1/lb. Even Arm & Hammer baking soda is cheaper (around here) at about 50 cents/lb.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

5. Back To Top    #5

Whoops, I wrote 30lb bag, it's actually a 50lb bag for ~$35 (with their ever present coupons you can almost always save another 20%)

http://www.harborfreight.com/50-lbs-med ... 65929.html

Since it's the soda itself that breaks apart, releasing energy to explode the paint off the object, I think it's pure, no binder but I'll do some more research.

6. Back To Top    #6

Costco and Walmart sell 13.5 lb bags of Arm &Hammer Baking Soda. The Walmart near me likes to hide it in the outdoor garden section. IIRC it comes out to about .45 an ounce.
    20 x 40 Vinyl, w/ Pentair 1 hp pump & Hayward 24" top mount filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Nice. For what it's worth, the ARMEX MSDS and other materials talk about flow and anti clumping agents that are included to keep the soda from clogging in the blaster. I'm not willing to swim in unknown chemicals if I can help it

8. Back To Top    #8

Here in Arizona, Leslie's bought out Shasta earlier this year. They sell sodium bicarbonate for $80 per 50lb (more twice the old Shasta price) and call it "Alkalinity Up". Screw that. And apparently the people here know it, because there's plenty of "Alkalinity Up" in stock but almost no sodium bicarb to be had. The last resort is food grade Wal-Mart baking soda in 2lb boxes, $1.27 each (regular price). This is competitive with the old 50lb bag prices (and more convenient too!). So too bad if you want to bake a cake with the stuff, because I just bought out their entire stock to put in my pool.