Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many use ladder mats?

1. Back To Top    #1

How many use ladder mats?

Ladder mats seem like a really good idea but I haven't bought one yet. I bought a cover pillow that we aren't going to use and I thought about carving that up to make one since the pillow was about the same price or less anyway. Anything that I should know about specifically? It doesn't seem like a bad idea to have that extra protection there just in case. We've only used our ladder a few times on this liner so I should have some time to go one way or the other. Thanks!
    24' X 54" Sharkline Matrix AGP ~ 15,200 gallon
    1.5 HP Dynamo Dual Speed ran 24/7 at low speed w/250lb. SD60 Pentair Sand Filter
    Plumbed with PVC - buried.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How many use ladder mats?

I don't use one but have thought of getting one.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have one.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

I have one but I do get issues under it with it getting slimy, to remedy it, I pick it up once a week, brush under the ladder, clean the mat. I have kids jumping on/off the ladder so it gives me a little piece of mind.
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

NW PA, halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie in the PA snowbelt

A "ladder mat" no, I don't have one. A mat for my ladder? Yes, I use one. I have a piece of 3/8" rubber mat from Tractor Supply for something else. It is similar to a pickup truck bed mat, but those are usually 3/4". I cut a 12" wide piece and put it under the legs of the ladder. I would have thought like everything else, a mat specifically sold for pools would be stupidly expensive, though looking, doesn't seem to be the case. My $5 chunk of rubber mat works well enough though.
    Mike

22' round Intex UltraFrame pool, Intex 633T 2500gph paper cartridge filter/pump
    with broken Intex SWG, using bleach this year
    TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I do not. Thought about it but so far no problems

7. Back To Top    #7

I have read that you can use a tub mat. One of those that you use so you don't slip in the shower. I plan on giving that a try.

Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by rjg202
    I have one but I do get issues under it with it getting slimy, to remedy it, I pick it up once a week, brush under the ladder, clean the mat. I have kids jumping on/off the ladder so it gives me a little piece of mind.
    Same here!
    AG, 10,400 gallons, filter cartridge, 2HP pump
    Coffeegoddss...bonafide thread killer!
    POOL SCHOOL...fortheloveofgawd, read POOL SCHOOL

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the responses so far all. Perhaps I'm overly concerned about my liner. It would add an extra step to maintenance but it shouldn't be real bad.

My ladder wouldn't hold it because it still wants to float a little. Must still have some air in it. I'm going to try and remedy that today and throw something under there. Thanks all!
    1.5 HP Dynamo Dual Speed ran 24/7 at low speed w/250lb. SD60 Pentair Sand Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Never had any luck with the mat..But,I do use tub mat with the suction cup's on the bottom..Work's very well.&it stay's where you put it.I've custom cut mine to fit under each step bottom.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

We bought a shower pan liner and cut it to size. I don't know if it is really needed as my steps have wide feet. I do have issues with it sliding out of place and with it getting slimy.
    24ft AGP 52in deep ~13,500 gal
    Hayward Sand Filter 250 lbs
    SWG
    1.5 HP pump

425 gal stand alone QCA Hot Tub 15-20 yrs old

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by kplaster
    Never had any luck with the mat..But,I do use tub mat with the suction cup's on the bottom..Work's very well.&it stay's where you put it.I've custom cut mine to fit under each step bottom.
    I might have to try this. I hope that I can find a spot on the bottom that I can stick the cups to that will actually stay there.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by moze229
    I might have to try this. I hope that I can find a spot on the bottom that I can stick the cups to that will actually stay there.
    O'h it will stick..Get the clear one's from walmart."heavy duty" tub mat..Buy 1& cut it to size.Have one on each side of the step's..They are clear so they don't stand out.Last forever.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

How many use ladder mats?

I have one also, got it for under 10 bucks from local pool store. Just a flat piece of blue rubber like mat.
    cheap insurance IMO
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks! Looks like I'll be off to Walmart this week to try one out.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Highlandreef
    I have one also, got it for under 10 bucks from local pool store. Just a flat piece of blue rubber like mat.
    cheap insurance IMO
    I got one & said it was a accident waiting to happen.Would never stay down under step's..Kid's get to playing & getting the water to moving&then it was out of there.The bathtub mat was the best couple dollar's spent&it stay's where I put it.Now if I could just make a couple dollar's on the thing's I find that work..Well,maybe save some dollar's..lol

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by moze229
    Thanks! Looks like I'll be off to Walmart this week to try one out.
    Yep!!Just make sure you spend the extra&get the Heavy Duty one...They work great..

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Highlandreef
    cheap insurance IMO
    I got one & said it was a accident waiting to happen.Would never stay down under step's..Kid's get to playing & getting the water to moving&then it was out of there.The bathtub mat was the best couple dollar's spent&it stay's where I put it.Now if I could just make a couple dollar's on the thing's I find that work..Well,maybe save some dollar's..lol
    Just buy a bunch of them, change them somehow, and sell them on Ebay as something else. People do that kinda stuff all the time. Just make yourself a couple bucks on 'em. The only thing limiting you would be your sales ability. That's why I don't sell anything.

I know this has nothing to do with pools, but there was one individual that had "made" a product for working on hunting and target bows and was selling them for quite a bit. It was constructed with individual mounting parts made by Ram Mounts. He was buying the parts for like $40.00, taking 10 minutes to put them together, and then selling them for $120.00. He sold a LOT of them. He may still be selling them. I caught onto his scheme though because I'm intimately familiar with Ram Mounts products and built one of my own for $40.00. I just stole his idea. Once I saw the pics of what he was selling I knew immediately what he was doing.

19. Back To Top    #19

+1 on the tub mat!
    Southeast Georgia
    IG 27,000 gallons w/ flow over spa
    Diamond Brite
    74 gpm Sand Filter
    2HP Pump

20. Back To Top    #20

I bought a tub mat. Gonna get it into the pool whenever we get in next, which probably won't be for the next couple of weeks. Just like the strange sudden warmth a month early this year, this week we seem to be having a April month in June so the water temp tanked too low on us again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast