Up to 2" off level?

Jules

Jun 14, 2011
Kemp, Tx
Update....again, last post (10)

Update in post 9

We're getting a 33' agp very soon, and I contacted an installer for the ground work. They stated in the contract we would sign, that they can be up to 2" off level. I'm not sure if that is okay, or not. They did say, they try to get it as level as possible. It's just the slight chance that 2" may be all they can do, and that has me worried.

Would 2" out of level be okay? Or should I find someone else?

I wouldn't accept that - no way. It MIGHT be ok, but why go with that? My pool was installed by installers that used a transit and mine is within 1/16 of an inch. Any good pool installer wouldn't accept their own work being that off I wouldn't think.

Now you might have some sinking that occurs over time, but it should be very minimal and certainly not 2" if blocks are used under the wall supports.

duraleigh said:
1" is VERY close to unacceptable in my book....2" may cause the pool to fall over time.

Honestly, I feel the same way. We were only considering it because it is blazing hot out, and we have no shade. We were out working on it for 3 days, until DH had to go back to work. We might just finish it ourselves, at night, with lights LOL! The 2" possibility just leaves me very uneasy. We're investing a lot into this pool, I don't want it falling over anytime soon.

I guess typing it out made me realize that it's not acceptable. And I promised DH I'd ask :roll: I'm the pool person in this house.

As I understand it 1" is the industry standard. 2" is completely unacceptable. I put in an Intex on my own and I got it to within 1" of level. If a white collar nerd can get a pool to within 1" of level I would expect nothing less from a professional.

I have seen various references to an "Industry Standard" for what would be considered acceptable swimming pool levelness.

However, I do not know of any published "Industry Standard" that specifies what tolerances are acceptable. I would be interested to see any reference that anyone wants to provide.

States might provide such tolerances in their building codes, especially for commercial/public pools. Examples:

The design water level shall have a maximum construction tolerance at the time of completion of the work of plus or minus 1/4 inch for post-10/01/99 pools or spas with adjustable weir surface skimming systems, and of plus or minus 1/8 inch for post-10/01/99 pools or spas with non-adjustable surface skimming systems.

http://texinfo.library.unt.edu/texasreg ... VICES.html
Waterline for skimmer pools +/- 1/4"
Waterline for gutter and overflow trench pools +/- 1/8"
http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/ad ... 88/390.pdf
Either way, the homeowner can specify any tolerances they want, as long as they do not conflict with the building code. Of course, the tighter the tolerance, the more it will usually cost. And, at some point, you will not find anyone willing to accept the terms.

I certainly would not accept 1-inch out of level. Any qualified contractor should be able to build to within 1/4 inch.

No way would I accept 1" let alone 2"! I may nit pick 1/2" but I'm paying for you to get it dang near spot on Mr. (I do this for a living) Professional. Sorry. Just how I see it.

Well, I apparently misunderstood the person I spoke with. Dh called today, to ask more about the 2" issue. As it turns out, they like to get it near perfect, as much as possible. They said that any settling over 2", occurring within 2 years will be fixed. I think that is pretty reasonable. This is a highly recommended company, so I did think it was a little odd they would accept the initial level to be off that much. I'm glad we have it straightened out. The only downside is they can't get out here until the 22nd.

Well, I didn't misunderstand. This company is completely incompetent! They called back yesterday afternoon and changed what they said. Now they say that they get it level within 2" and then bury the blocks and make sure they're level....but, level with what, if the whole area is going to be off 2" what in the world are they checking the blocks against? I'm no expert, but that just doesn't sound right. They also said that they will fill the low spots with sand. Not acceptable, at all.

Anyway, we have decided to finish it ourselves. At least we will only have ourselves to blame if it doesn't turn out right. At this point, we're only 2.5" off, so not too much more to go. We're supposed to be getting rain soon, hopefully that softens this ground, making it a little easier. Right now, the ground is so hard that when you hit it with the tip of the shovel it makes a dinging sound, like you hit concrete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.