I am looking for a combination sand filter and pump

Hello, I have a 18 year old 24'x 54" round pool (Alpha) that needs a new pump. I am looking for a combination sand filter and pump that can handle the job.
I have seen the Intex 2650 but I don't think the pump is strong enough. Plus I am unsure if you can use the Intex pumps with other pools.
I would also like to go with a saltwater chlorinator while I'm at it and am looking for suggestions.
Don't care to spend a fortune, but would like to have a well working system (for a change).
Can anyone advise?

The Intex 2650 is on the low end of what you might use with that pool. It isn't the pump being to small, but the filter being small that is the significant issue. As a general rule you want a fairly small pump and a large filter. Smaller pumps save electricity while large filters go longer between backwashing/cleaning and help the whole system be more efficient.

The Intex can be used with other brands of equipment, though you usually need special Intex hose adapters.

A better setup would be a 250 lb sand filter and a dual speed pump, but you would need to purchase them separately and the price is in a noticeably higher price bracket.

kplaster said:
Had really good luck with the Hayworth System..Sandfilter&pump combo.
I have the s-180t system.Had this system for 4-5 yrs.Had no problem's except replaced the shaft seal a couple yrs. ago..They are a little over $400 now..But, if you can wait till winter you can get the system's alot cheaper..Order'd of internet&very easy to install.Good Luck

Craig's list is full of awesome deals for filters and pumps. I just got a Hayward S244T new in box for $100. Look around. A lot of good deal out there if you look. Never get from pool store. Always way overpriced. Example from yesterday ...EC 65 DE filter at pool store $750.....eBay $200-400. Craig's list Used a year or so... $150 and up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.