Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice on type pool. We need to choose quickly!

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice on type pool. We need to choose quickly!

Our 15ft 48 inch intex sprung a huge leak. We had to drain. Our options to replace are to get either:
    An intex 16 ft ultra frame 48 inch deep for $350
    Or
    Craig's list has a 16 ft doughboy also 48 inches supposedly used but in good condition, broken down with all the parts for $800. We would probably get a new liner.

Which would you choose and why? We have two kids with special needs - our son is 4 and has cerebral palsy and our daughter has leukemia so pool chemistry has to be always kept as close to perfect as possible. So good pumps, etc.

My siggy has our pool last Year. Your bBB method worked great and I think we are a pool family.

We need to make a quick decision if we want the doughboy.
    Help!

Thx!
    Jenn
    Jenn, From New Mexico
    8600 gal Intex 12x24x52 ultra rectangular pool, current filter: Sand Filter Pump with 1,600 gallon (6,056 L) per hour flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advice on type pool. We need to choose quickly!

I would stay away from the used already broken down pool's..You don't know what you are buying.Missing part's,etc..plus you got to buy another liner..I say upgrade to a nice new big pool or just get another intex.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The only&safe way to buy a used above ground is to see it when it is up&you can take down pc. by pc.& take pictures of everything so you can put back like it was..There is alway's a reason for someone selling a pool already taken down unless you know the person&they will help you get it back up.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! You've saved us from making a big mistake! Going with Intex again and starting plans for what we really want next year.
    Jenn, From New Mexico
    8600 gal Intex 12x24x52 ultra rectangular pool, current filter: Sand Filter Pump with 1,600 gallon (6,056 L) per hour flow rate