Fuse Blowing

May 31, 2011
My ancient AutoPilot 1000 has been working fine for the last 6 months. Last week it stopped working when the cell fuse blew. I have since replaced the cord and the cell. It is still blowing fuses. I have tried all the types of fuses I can find. Regular, slow blow, and ceramic. The manual calls for a ceramic slow blow fuse. I have not been able to find one of those.

With the non ceramic slow blow it worked for about 20 seconds. The green cell light came on about that long then it blew.

Other info is the salt level. It was 4200. I did a small drain and fill to get it to 4000 figuring it would still be high but would get back to working if that was the issue. But it still blows the fuse. Of course the temp has come up quite a bit, 10 degrees. No idea if high salt level/temp would increase the draw but figured I would add that info.

Do I need to order a ceramic slow blow fuse? The fuse I took out of there was non ceramic, and not slow blow. So I'm skeptical. A normal fuse had been working just fine.

Do I need to get more salt out of the pool?

What else can I replace?

Thanks.

Checked that on the cell that the fuse originally started blowing on and on the new replacement cell. I don't see anything. Also checked the continuity between the 2 pins on both cells. There isn't any, multimeter says open.

You're fine with any level of high salt. The LS1000 is able to continue to run with high salt levels.
Which fuse is continually blowing? There's the main fuse in the black fuse holder (top center), main board fuse, and power module fuse.
The slo blow fuse can be found at Radio Shack (usually).
You can also check the yellow/blue wires coming from the transformer to see if there's a burn on the connector. If so, you will need to replace the connector (or may have a bad transformer). If you remove the yellow/blue connector from the power module, and power it up, see if the fuse blows. If so, then your transformer is bad. If not, then you may have a problem with the power module board.

It is the fuse on the lower part of the board. Labeled cell fuse. If the cell light is off it does not blow. But as soon as it comes on the fuse will blow. The other 2 fuses, one labeled control fuse on the top of the board and the one in the black fuse holder are both fine.

I will try the yellow/blue option and see what is going on.

Thanks!

Poolsean said:
You can also check the yellow/blue wires coming from the transformer to see if there's a burn on the connector. If so, you will need to replace the connector (or may have a bad transformer). If you remove the yellow/blue connector from the power module, and power it up, see if the fuse blows. If so, then your transformer is bad. If not, then you may have a problem with the power module board.

The blue and yellow wires looked fine. No indication of burning/scaring. I disconnected them and the fuse did not blow. I guess that means it is the transformer. But none of the lights on the front panel came on. Assuming that is normal.

It looks like transformers are no longer available. http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_saltwat ... center.htm But it looks like a standard wabash transformer which I should be able to find a replacement for directly from them.

But does it make sense to keep trying to keep this thing running? It is 12 years old at this point. At this point I've got brand new tri sensor, 2 cells, and a cell cord. All of which would swap over to a new autopilot unit. But those are going on $600. I'm leaning toward keep fixing things as they come up but am I crazy?

Thanks.

Bringing this back from the dead now that it is cool enough to work outside again here. ;)

I pulled the transformer out but have not been able to find a replacement. I've googled and googled the number on the transformer 6874-2. I've searched and searched the manufacture's site http://www.wabashtransformer.com. I sent the picture below to wabash customer support on 10/20 asking for some info on it, but no response.

Does the brain trust have any other ideas I haven't thought of?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does the original manufacturer (of the autopilot) know the voltages and current capacity of the original transformer? Our at least the voltage?

Sent via Tapatalk...

I assumed they would say the usual "No user serviceable parts, that model has been discontinued, just buy a new one, etc." Which in all honesty is probably the right thing to say. I wouldn't blame them a bit. :)

I did expect Wabash to reply since they made the thing and aren't on the consumer side of the supply chain. Guess that is not going to happen. I'm sure if I said I needed 1000 of them they would be interested. :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.