Landscaping around base of Intex Ultra Frame pools

I honestly can't remember the pool supply companies name, it was several years ago, it is a safety ladder that attaches to the steps, there are several makers, i surfed on Amazon they have several choices.good luck. also steps are on outside of pool, many pool owners out steps on inside of pool, wife didn't want that!!!

oh i want to add to this thread! :)

33ud2qg.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you...Living in Florida I don't really have to take it down for the fall and winter:swim:....Still have it up...it's been 4 yrs, but I have a rust problem with the posts so this might be the last season for that pool. But like you said, the landscaping around my pool makes the pool easier to put up or take down. Not too expensive either!

I think it was asked earlier but I'm not sure it was answered. What do you do with the extra tarp surrounding the pool? I ended up with a 15X15 and a 15X19 on my 14' pool, so the larger tarp has quite a bit of excess. I was thinking of cutting it but since that is a permanent fix I wanted to see if there was another option. Pool will probably stay up year round and I will be doing the lanscape edging and either rock or mulch around it. I guess I could just leave it under the mulch too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Trimmed my tarp and the pink insulation to about 6 inches from the legs. I placed a length of 6" board against 2 legs at a time and used it as a straight edge for cutting with a case knife. Neatened it up some. Then I added black edging about 2' out and filled the space all the way between the edging and the pool with landscape fabric and rubber mulch. Rubber mulch isn't harming my liner. Then I put some stepping stones in there too and added a few seasonal plants. Looked pretty good. I need to put in new plants for this year. Last year's freezes got them.

On my first try, I used a tarp under my pool with rubber mulch on top of it, but found that water pooled in it and became stagnant. When I replaced the pool with a larger one, I also replaced the tarp with water permeable landscaping fabric and covered it with river pebbles. No more standing water, and the pebbles are heavier and don't wash out like the mulch did.

My pool sits inside a framed sandbox that I built, so pooling may not be an issue for others as it was for me.

Mulch over tarp

WP_001074_zps626b92a4.jpg

Pebbles over fabric

temporary_zps96f23d75.jpg

temporary_zps73437906.jpg

temporary_zps48a09dd5.jpg

I will lay in bed and look at pictures of other people's landscaping and never actually get around to deciding on and buying any edging or mulch. :(
Too bad I'm not as good at landscaping as I am at procrastinating.
Of course, 47 and rain certainly isn't helping.

I landscaped with rubber mulch and I'm not happy with it. Too much dirt and debris, leaves, etc, land on top of it . If you try to blow the debris off, the rubber mulch goes with it, as it is very light. It also sticks to the bottom of your feet and you end up transporting it to areas where you don't want wan it. I occasionally find my dog limping, when I look at her foot, I find a piece of hard rubber mulch stuck between her pads. I want to re-landscape and I'm considering artificial grass, since my pool is round and I have a small path circling it, I'm thinking about purchasing the artificial grass from a roll, which I will have to cut and shape to the path. It will be easier to clean up the debris that takes up residence on the fake grass.

- - - Updated - - -

One needs permeable weed barrier under any landscaping -- not a tarp.

On my first try, I used a tarp under my pool with rubber mulch on top of it, but found that water pooled in it and became stagnant. When I replaced the pool with a larger one, I also replaced the tarp with water permeable landscaping fabric and covered it with river pebbles. No more standing water, and the pebbles are heavier and don't wash out like the mulch did.

My pool sits inside a framed sandbox that I built, so pooling may not be an issue for others as it was for me.

Mulch over tarp

Pebbles over fabric

What a clean and nice look!

Mulch over tarp

Pebbles over fabric

Nice.....but don't the rocks get up under the liner?
I've upgraded to a 18 x 48 this year and going to do some landscape but worried about the kids being so rough the rocks will become a issue?

I added the rocks after the pool was filled and never drain it, so there's no opportunity for the rocks to get under the liner. The landscaping fabric keeps them from working down into the sand where they might be able to eventually do so. And they are rounded enough that I don't have any concerns about them puncturing it. If you found any sharp ones, you could just discard them.

I love this too! Well thought out and relaxing. It has to be the best above ground set up I've seen and all without decks and so natural. I hope to make mine like this. We are just clearing the grass. I can't tell from the photo how you handled the ground area next to the pool. Are your legs on flat pavers? And what are you using next to the pool and around your plants? Can you tell me more details since we are just beginning to clear our grass? Thanks.

I love this too! Well thought out and relaxing. It has to be the best above ground set up I've seen and all without decks and so natural. I hope to make mine like this. We are just clearing the grass. I can't tell from the photo how you handled the ground area next to the pool. Are your legs on flat pavers? And what are you using next to the pool and around your plants? Can you tell me more details since we are just beginning to clear our grass? Thanks.
homeandgarden023.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.