Pump and Filter upgrade questions and recomendations

kizer

May 26, 2012
Hello,
I am a brand new 18 x 48" intex pool owner and had a few questions regarding possiblw pumps and filters for this size pool containing about 7000 gallons. I am not impressed with initial 1500gph pump that is supplied with the pool and would like to upgrade to better equipment. Id like a sand filter, larger pump and eventually a SWG. I have been looking at a few of the Hayward sand pump combos listed here
http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment ... und-Pools/
Is a 1 1/2 hp motor too large for my pool? Can i make it work somehow? Will it work with a SWG? I would like to upgrade to a larger more permanent pool in the next summer or two and want to carry that equipmemt over. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Welcome to TFP!

As a general rule you want a larger filter and smaller pump than are usually sold in those combination packages. For the pump, a two speed pump will save you a significant amount of money in the long run, since pumps are more efficient when run on low speed. For the filter, you usually want the largest filter you can afford and have room for. Larger filters go longer between backwashes/cleanings and also improve system efficiency.

Thank you for the quick reply and great forum! I'd love a 2 speed pump, however I've found that these are quite a bit more expensive so I may not go that route quite yet. Is a 1 1/2 HP pump dangerous for this size of pool?

Yeah, I would go with the 2650 but I plan on purchasing a much bigger AGP next year. I just didn't want to try and sell the 2650 next year and purchase another pump/filter again.
Thanks for everyone's input!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Going with a larger pool next year you're making a good choice to go ahead and get a pump & filter combo that'll work for it.

The larger combo in either of the two packages you linked to would be a good choice. The 21" in the Hayward or the 22" in the Pentair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.