Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaf filter cover cracked: Temporary fix?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaf filter cover cracked: Temporary fix?

The hard clear plastic cover for my Intex sand filter pre filter/leaf cover has cracked. I am ordering a new one but was looking for a temporary fix. I thought large hose clamp and piece of rubber but there is no shoulder on the housing below the threads. Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaf filter cover cracked: Temporary fix?

Are you talking about your pump basket lid?
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, pump basket lid.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is it a small crack, is the lid still in one piece?
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I over tightened trying to eliminate leak. Maybe the o-ring is faulty. The cap is cracked almost half way around where the threaded portion meets the top at a perpendicular. Just bought some locktite epoxy for plastics but doubt it will hold up to tightening and pressure. I imagine the crack will just continue on around.

6. Back To Top    #6

At least it is on the suction side, so you don't have to worry about outward force. I was going to suggest duct tape. Sounds crazy, but the pump shouldn't be able to suck it in. I guess the epoxy would work also, but it could be difficult to get it air tight.