Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: going to buy a used pool today what should i look for?

1. Back To Top    #1

going to buy a used pool today what should i look for?

im very new to owning a pool i owed a small intex pool last summer thats all. Im driving an hour to get a 21x52 pool,its all ready taken down and in boxes here is a link to the ad. Http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/for/3050804058.html. What are things i should look for when inspecting the pool before buying it?
    Seafarer 32,500 gallons; Haywood (s244T)Sand filter; In ground, vinyl liner: 1 HP Haywood pump: Pool age approx 15 years

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: going to buy a used pool today what should i look for?

You'll be awful lucky not to need a new liner to replace the one that is 4 years old. Age is not the problem. It's the fact that is has been removed and dried out, making it brittle.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Look at the bottom of the support posts...pull away any backfill dirt if necessary...and check for rust and corrosion. When I was looking at used pools, nearly all of them had SOME posts that were going to need to be replaced, and with an older pool (especially if you can't determine the manufacturer) that can be a problem.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

4. Back To Top    #4

Open the boxes and check for rust on the supports, you may not have all the bolts and screws.
    you will most likely need a new liner, it will be next to impossible to reuse the old one. Do they have the installation manual?
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer