Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New here

1. Back To Top    #1

New here

Hi, new here just put up our first pool a Summer escape pro series 16 x 48? Fist thing I see is that the pump seems under powered did some reading and seen that some have replaced with a sand filter and more powerful pump . My question is Is this pool worth spending the time and money on the pump upgrade I don't mine doing it if the pool will last

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: New here

Welcome to TFP!

What size/kind of pump and filter do you have right now? Some of the smaller above ground pools do come with a pump/filter that is too small, but it is also very common for people to mistakenly think that bigger is better right up into the way too big range.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tecumseh, OK

Welcome! Soft side pools can last many many years if taken care of properly. The Intex pumps and sand filter systems are a pretty good bang for the money on most Intex size pools. Definately worth a look.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

4. Back To Top    #4
    Twin Cities, MN

Welcome to tfp, Elob9

I agree that intex makes decent sand filter/pump combos. You could also look on craigslist.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

The pool is suppose to have a 1000 gph pump which mounts on the bottom of the skimmer. I really doubt it can move that much water with the vacuum attached it has very little suction