First test with TF100

daugust

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2012
Thanks. Great sight. Honest, I searched and didn't find the answer to this question....

So what do I do if I've WAY TOO much stabalizer in my pool and my water is still very cloudy? Can I just shock it until it's not cloudy, maintain FC between 7 and 12 until the CYA falls to more normal levels? Or would it behoove me to remove 1/3 to 1/2 of my water

FC 12.5
AK 130
CH 290
CYA 85
PH 7.2

My Pool 28 ft AG, Sand filter (19 in Sparco), 1.5 HP Pump
My tail of woe (short version) 1st pool, purchased the house in the fall, pool wasn't opened last year, mess to open, paid a pool guy to "help" me open, I don't think he knew what he was doing (sold me Stabalizer, and now I have too much.

Again, much thanks to all.

Thanks for the speedy response Dave!

After draining 1/3 of pool water and refilling yesterday, I have much better numbers, and although better, still cloudy water.

PH 7.2
FC 5.5
CC .5
TC 6.0
AK 80
CH 160
CYA 50

Heading out to the store to get 448 oz of chlorine bleach (unless I find Liquid Chlorine, then on 224 oz) to shock (and then some for maintenance and to keep the shock going). Also going to buy Borax to raise my PH (53 oz, extra to have on hand), and some Baking Soda (just to have on hand).

http://poolcalculator.com/

(if you are also a newbie and wondering where those numbers came from)

Is that a reasonable plan?

Thanks to all.

Hey, Dan,

everything you are planning is perfect except leave your pH alone. It will have a natural tendency to rise on it's own so check it after you finish the Shock Process.

Nice work on getting your CYA down. Bring that FC up around 20ppm and HOLD IT THERE until your water is crystal clear. Run your pump 24/7 and brush as often as you can, cleaning the filter often by watching the psi increase.

You're on your way.

Thanks again for the quick response Dave!
UPDATE:
Got my liquid chlorine at the local pool shop. Added 2 gallons. That was about 2 hours ago. I just tested and came up with FC of 20.5.

Gonna keep this going... in case someone else finds it useful.

Another update. I tested again late last night. FC had risen to 25.5. 2 theories here. The 2 gallons I added at the 1st test hadn't circulated yet. I also gave the pool a very good scrubbing yesterday and may have agitated old product. I didn't have a scrubbing head for my pole so the only cleaning I had done before yesterday was with the vacuum. I'm gonna test cya and FC tonight when I get the chance.

This morning when i tested FC was 22.5.

Thanks!

Final Follow up. Woot! Mission accomplished. Crystal clear water! I tested before work after work and before bed. Added liquid chlorine to get it up 20 ppm every time it was below. I vacuumed and scrubbed every evening.

By Friday evening I hadn't seen any improvement since Wednesday so I did a oncl test... (overnight chlorine loss test from pool school)

pool-school/overnight_fc_testq

I didn't lose any chlorine overnight, So i added some clarifier and declared the pool open! This morning it is crystal clear. The chlorine is a little high, but below shock levels.

And now I'm thinking about solar heat to see if that and global warming can add 4 to 6 weeks to the swimming season here in Pittsburgh!

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.