Torrential rains - what do I do with vinyl inground pool?

Stilly

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We are having torrential rains here in PA. And I mean huge downpours!! I have already drained pool water twice when it reached the top of the skimmer. I am afraid that overnight while we are sleeping it might get to overflowing. Is this something that I need to worry about? Will it cause any damage to the pool or liner? The ground is thoroughly soaked, and I have been trying to drain water away towards the lower end of the yard. Is there any damage that could happen to the liner or walls if it happens to overflow overnight?

I feel like we're drowning here! :cry:

Re: Torrential rains - what do I do with vinyl inground pool

The pool will be fine. The only real danger is that the overflowing water might washout some dirt that would have been better left in place. And with torrential rains there is really no avoiding that risk.

Tomorrow, or as soon as practical, you will want to pump water out to get it back down low enough that the skimmer starts working again. And if there was really a lot of rain (5+" of rain) then you will want to double check some of your longer term levels (CH, CYA, salt, etc).

I am not as worried about the yard. Grass was just seeded about 2 weeks ago (maybe 3). There is still a lot of settling happening around the yard. No patio was built yet - we are waiting a year for the ground to settle.

I thought I had heard somewhere that the pool should not be let to overflow. Am I worrying needlessly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Jason. We've probably had 5 inches already. Flood and tornado warnings too - yikes! Glad to hear I can stop standing in the shed pumping water out of the pool and can get back inside!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.