Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Torrential rains - what do I do with vinyl inground pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Torrential rains - what do I do with vinyl inground pool?

We are having torrential rains here in PA. And I mean huge downpours!! I have already drained pool water twice when it reached the top of the skimmer. I am afraid that overnight while we are sleeping it might get to overflowing. Is this something that I need to worry about? Will it cause any damage to the pool or liner? The ground is thoroughly soaked, and I have been trying to drain water away towards the lower end of the yard. Is there any damage that could happen to the liner or walls if it happens to overflow overnight?

I feel like we're drowning here!
    16 x 32 vinyl In-ground Lagoon; Shallow pool 3' to 5'; Buddy Seat; IntelliBrite 5g LED; Pool Pilor Digital SWG, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320; Pentair Intelliflo VS + SVRS; Pentair Sand Shark. My Construction Thread - Spring 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Torrential rains - what do I do with vinyl inground pool

Yard and landscaping are the worry----not the pool.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Torrential rains - what do I do with vinyl inground pool

The pool will be fine. The only real danger is that the overflowing water might washout some dirt that would have been better left in place. And with torrential rains there is really no avoiding that risk.

Tomorrow, or as soon as practical, you will want to pump water out to get it back down low enough that the skimmer starts working again. And if there was really a lot of rain (5+" of rain) then you will want to double check some of your longer term levels (CH, CYA, salt, etc).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I am not as worried about the yard. Grass was just seeded about 2 weeks ago (maybe 3). There is still a lot of settling happening around the yard. No patio was built yet - we are waiting a year for the ground to settle.

I thought I had heard somewhere that the pool should not be let to overflow. Am I worrying needlessly?

16 x 32 vinyl In-ground Lagoon; Shallow pool 3' to 5'; Buddy Seat; IntelliBrite 5g LED; Pool Pilor Digital SWG, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320; Pentair Intelliflo VS + SVRS; Pentair Sand Shark. My Construction Thread - Spring 2012

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Jason. We've probably had 5 inches already. Flood and tornado warnings too - yikes! Glad to hear I can stop standing in the shed pumping water out of the pool and can get back inside!