Go with the flow

harrenst

Bronze Supporter
Apr 26, 2012
I am thinking it would be wise to order a bigger filter pump for my little pool. What the pool came with is a 530 gph model. It just seems like it's not moving anything. I am debating between getting the 1500 or the 2500.
1. I understand there are adapters that I must buy to convert the existing 1 1/4 fittings to 1 1/2, but I've also seen plunger valves installed. What are those and why do people use them?
2. 1500 or 2500? If I go with the bigger unit, does that mean I can run it less time? Is it overkill?
3. Will I need to drain most of the pool to do the upgrade?

The big difference between those pumps is the filters that come with them. The filters on the 530 and 1500 are really not very good. If I remember correctly the filter that goes with the 2500 is a significant step up in quality.

There is no need to drain. You will lose a little water while switching the connections, but you can prevent most of the water loss by blocking the hoses from inside the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.