Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Go with the flow

1. Back To Top    #1

Go with the flow

I am thinking it would be wise to order a bigger filter pump for my little pool. What the pool came with is a 530 gph model. It just seems like it's not moving anything. I am debating between getting the 1500 or the 2500.
    1. I understand there are adapters that I must buy to convert the existing 1 1/4 fittings to 1 1/2, but I've also seen plunger valves installed. What are those and why do people use them?
    2. 1500 or 2500? If I go with the bigger unit, does that mean I can run it less time? Is it overkill?
    3. Will I need to drain most of the pool to do the upgrade?
    12' x 36" Intex AGP on a raised concrete slab under a ramada in sunny Arizona. Borated, balanced, and beautiful blue.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Go with the flow

The big difference between those pumps is the filters that come with them. The filters on the 530 and 1500 are really not very good. If I remember correctly the filter that goes with the 2500 is a significant step up in quality.

There is no need to drain. You will lose a little water while switching the connections, but you can prevent most of the water loss by blocking the hoses from inside the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School