Bought house with pool, thanks to you guys it's in top shape

spidey07

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
So my story of "what the heck do I do with this thing". Bought/offered house with pool, seller closed it up by putting a cover over it and calling it done before closing/ownership. What did I know? House was on market for two years, yeah bargin!

Keep in mind, and I'll remind you of this later - I keep salt water reef tanks, only bad things happen quickly.

Multiple estimates from pool guys with my vinyl lined inground pool - yeah, you gotta drain it. Not a good idea, but do it. When I have three folks say you never drain a vinyl inground pool come and take a look at it...that's confirmation.

So drain it, fill completely, add some CYA (pro-tip from reef keeper, use pantyhose, small adjustments)

Long post, but she's sparkling and pretty. Only concern is a barely detectable CC. She gets ALL DAY sun.

FC-6
CYA-likley 40, unconfirmed as I added some a few days ago - full time sun on this pool
CC - Registers on TEST, but I can breathe a titrant on it to make zero
pH-7.6
ALK-90

Oh, and did you know when you keep a reef fish tank there's an electronic gizmo that measures .01?

Thank you for any comments, Y'all told me where I need to be.

Re: Bought house with pool, thanks to you guys it's in top s

spidey - I am a serious noob myself but I believe that your cc is fine and should be zero. I really hope one of the smart guys come behind and confirm.

The CC is my only concern and I'll run a hi-rez test tomorrow. Using a FAS-DPD test kit, my resolution is .5. Based on the color it has to be under .2. Only the faintest of pink shows up after the endpoint.

I am burning through TRICHLOR tablets (I know, i bad spidey), say one a day in the chrolonator.

Water looks great, super clear, except for the dead micro flakes I see running by the light at night.

It is not uncommon for the R-0003 to turn the sample slightly pink and then be cleared up with one drop (i.e. 0.5 ppm). Don't worry about it...your pool is clear.

linen said:
It is not uncommon for the R-0003 to turn the sample slightly pink and then be cleared up with one drop (i.e. 0.5 ppm). Don't worry about it...your pool is clear.

Thank you, good to know. If anybody is interested in super accurate pH look for Hanna pH meters. You can get resolution to .01. I'm not selling, just had mine left over from reef tank days. A lot of the same concepts carry over regarding pH and alkalinity, calcium solubility, etc. So I'm treating this like a 20,000 gallon fish tank.

I'll likely add some salt later for water feel. :cool:

I agree on bumping up the CYA some due to full time sun, say 50-60. Thanks to you guys I understand what the tricholor tablets are doing and won't let it get out of hand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.