Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bought house with pool, thanks to you guys it's in top shape

1. Back To Top    #1

Bought house with pool, thanks to you guys it's in top shape

So my story of "what the heck do I do with this thing". Bought/offered house with pool, seller closed it up by putting a cover over it and calling it done before closing/ownership. What did I know? House was on market for two years, yeah bargin!

Keep in mind, and I'll remind you of this later - I keep salt water reef tanks, only bad things happen quickly.

Multiple estimates from pool guys with my vinyl lined inground pool - yeah, you gotta drain it. Not a good idea, but do it. When I have three folks say you never drain a vinyl inground pool come and take a look at it...that's confirmation.

So drain it, fill completely, add some CYA (pro-tip from reef keeper, use pantyhose, small adjustments)

Long post, but she's sparkling and pretty. Only concern is a barely detectable CC. She gets ALL DAY sun.

FC-6
    CYA-likley 40, unconfirmed as I added some a few days ago - full time sun on this pool
    CC - Registers on TEST, but I can breathe a titrant on it to make zero
    pH-7.6
    ALK-90

Oh, and did you know when you keep a reef fish tank there's an electronic gizmo that measures .01?

Thank you for any comments, Y'all told me where I need to be.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bought house with pool, thanks to you guys it's in top s

spidey - I am a serious noob myself but I believe that your cc is fine and should be zero. I really hope one of the smart guys come behind and confirm.
    16 x 32 inground with Tara Liner, 1 skimmer, 3 returns,
    1HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Polaris 280 w booster pump
    Hayward SWG & Aqua Plus
    k-2006 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The CC is my only concern and I'll run a hi-rez test tomorrow. Using a FAS-DPD test kit, my resolution is .5. Based on the color it has to be under .2. Only the faintest of pink shows up after the endpoint.

I am burning through TRICHLOR tablets (I know, i bad spidey), say one a day in the chrolonator.

Water looks great, super clear, except for the dead micro flakes I see running by the light at night.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

It is not uncommon for the R-0003 to turn the sample slightly pink and then be cleared up with one drop (i.e. 0.5 ppm). Don't worry about it...your pool is clear.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

I get full time sun and have bumped the CYA to the 55 range....seems to help.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    It is not uncommon for the R-0003 to turn the sample slightly pink and then be cleared up with one drop (i.e. 0.5 ppm). Don't worry about it...your pool is clear.
    Thank you, good to know. If anybody is interested in super accurate pH look for Hanna pH meters. You can get resolution to .01. I'm not selling, just had mine left over from reef tank days. A lot of the same concepts carry over regarding pH and alkalinity, calcium solubility, etc. So I'm treating this like a 20,000 gallon fish tank.

I'll likely add some salt later for water feel.

I agree on bumping up the CYA some due to full time sun, say 50-60. Thanks to you guys I understand what the tricholor tablets are doing and won't let it get out of hand.