Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: bubbles on the pool surface...

Member In the Industry

bubbles on the pool surface...

Two nights ago I shocked a 22,000 gallon pool with Clorox bleach. I went from a 3 to a 15 and now there are bubbles everywhere. There is a fountain but I have since turned that off. It does have a natural gas heater also. The pool is balanced. So where are the stinking bubbles coming from? This pool had never done this before the Clorox shock, and yes it was regular bleach.
    Any help here would be appreciated.
    TIA

PF

Re: bubbles on the pool surface...

Why are you Shocking Your Pool?

Have you added any algaecides? They can cause bubbles.

Could just be organics breaking down.

Do you have a full set of test results?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Bubbles are a result of some kind of surfactant in the water. The most common ones are soap/detergent and organic oils from pollen or algae. In either case chlorine will break them down but that can sometimes take a while.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Member In the Industry

Cl 2.0
    Alk 95
    Ph 7.4
    Cya 30
    Ch 225
    I shocked the pool because there were small patches of algae forming in Few of the corners.

By "take a while" what timeframe should I be expecting?
    would you suggest a anti foam product or just shock again?

When I opened my pool this year and started shocking, there were a lot of bubbles as well. Just as JasonLion said, the chlorine will break the surfactant down. In my case, it took about a week. I do not recall having the bubbles previous years. It was a mystery.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

Member In the Industry

Thought... Any chance the new Clorox "splash-less" formula may have something to do with the bubbles?
    Seems too be much thicker.

Just throwing that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pool_Fool
    Thought... Any chance the new Clorox "splash-less" formula may have something to do with the bubbles?
    Seems too be much thicker.
    Yes, stay away from the splash-less, it has some additives. Either way what you need to do is the shockng process...it is a process and not a one time event. Read this poolschool article on the shocking process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Member In the Industry

Thank you mod.
    I understand the shocking process, what I didn't understand was the bubbles on the surface and I was hoping to get some clarification on that before I moved forward.

Thank you mod.
    I understand the shocking process, what I didn't understand was the bubbles on the surface and I was hoping to get some clarification on that before I moved forward.

Are you sure?

Shocking is not just bringing the pool up to shock level once. It's raising it and keeping it there until it passes an OCLT, the water looks good, and you have .5 or less cc. Your posts are ambiguous on that.

You can read more about it in pool school, the button at the top right of the page.

Very probably the splash less bleach caused it, stick with regular un scented plain ole bleach.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

Member In the Industry

Yes I am positive.
    That is a shame on the Clorox. It was only 3 dollars a jug at Sams.

This is not a new problem. Clorox has had splash-less, outdoor, and other specialty versions for quite some time. You want Clorox Regular that doesn't have any of those other terms and you'll also recognize it because it not only says it has 6% sodium hypochlorite in the ingredients list, but also says "5.7% Available Chlorine" on the bottle.

Clorox Regular Bleach -- the right stuff
    Clorox Germicidal Bleach -- the right stuff
    Clorox Scented Bleach -- the wrong stuff because it has scent chemicals
    Clorox Splash-less Bleach -- the wrong stuff because it has thickeners that can foam
    Clorox Outdoor Bleach -- the wrong stuff because it has thickeners that can foam
    Clorox High Efficiency Bleach -- the wrong stuff because it has thickeners that can foam
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

Member In the Industry

It is a new problem when you have never even used bleach in a pool. But it is one I will surely never make again.
    I have purposefully stayed away from the scented and special brands, but never even thought that a "splash-less" type would be a problem. By the way the pool is crystal clear passing The overnight test.
    And No more bubbles.
    ... Now maybe someone will learn from my mistake and not make it too.

As always thanks for all your help.

PF

Glad you got it under control

By the way the pool is crystal clear passing The overnight test.
    I am assuming your CC level is also below 0.5 ppm...just checking to be sure.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Yesterday I noticed I have surface bubbles in the pool.

Saturday was the first day I added the "concentrated" bleach ( Great Value Bleach 8.25% sh, yields 7.86% Available chlorine, purchased from Walmart) It's not splashless, I didn't notice bubbles that day.

Sunday the PB crew came and added my start-up salt (Aqua Salt) I'm not sure how many bags they added. I will call today and find out. I have had the pool pump running ever since then. The green light on the SWGC was flashing yesterday, this morning it is a solid green.

Today I have "bubbles" floating on top of the water. Not scummy bubbles, just bubbles that dissipate about 3 feet out from the bubbler, the spa overspill and the waterfall.

Water temp is 77 degrees.
    FC 8.5
    TC 8.5
    PH 7.8
    TA 70
    CH 375
    CYA 58 (ish)

Any thoughts on the bubbles?
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

Find out everything they've added.

It's normal for the swg to produce tiny bubbles from the outflows but they dissipate pretty quickly. Are they small bubbles?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Find out everything they've added.

It's normal for the swg to produce tiny bubbles from the outflows but they dissipate pretty quickly. Are they small bubbles?
    I have a call in to the store..

These bubbles aren't small, like I would expect gas bubbles to look like... pics below.

Thank you for responding!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net

Let us know what they tell you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

OK, nothing added but salt. They did spray a "sealer" on the coping and rocks before they added the salt. Do you think the sealer may have caused the bubbles?

Thank you!
    Helen

It certainly could have. I'd give it a few days. It should go away by then if it was the sealer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

OK, thank you so much!
    Helen