OCLT - keep filter running?

Jun 12, 2010
Lewes, Delaware
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone - opening going the best ever thanks to BBB method! Numbers coming on line pretty quickly. Of course don't know CYA reading yet as I just added it 2 days ago so I am guessing a bit on the shock. So I added my last dose of shock (I know, noun not a verb...) about an hour ago and am getting ready to take my before reading for first OCLT. Do I keep filter running all night during test? Definitely need it as far as water not crystal clear but wanted test to be most accurate possible? Also, rain is forecast for tonight. Will that mess up my OCLT results? Thanks for all the help!

Take your primary OCLT reading after nightfall, then in the morning before the sun comes up. If the water isn't clear, you should have the pump running all the time. As far as rain goes, if it were me I'd just continue the shock process (which you technically aren't doing, but I realize you know that), until I had clear weather to perform the OCLT, but I can't think of a reason why the rain would affect the OCLT. I'll let someone else answer that one.

gosusgo said:
Robbie - Thanks for giving me clearly more credit than I deserve for understanding this stuff. Why am I technically no shocking at this point? Thought I was... :?

I think it was just unclear based on your post if you are following the process and maintaining your FC above the shock level. Sounds like you are using a powder, which can be fine if you are aware of the CH or CYA implications, but the process is usually done with liquid chlorine.

I guess I inferred that he knew how much he added and what level he was targeting, but unable to test the true level yet as it has been less than a week and was raising the FC up to shock level for the target CYA ....

Of course maybe that was also wishful thinking :)

Got it. OK, so I am guessing what shock level to maintain without CYA reading but what can you do when you first open and haven't had a week for added CYA to register on test? I assumed there would be no CYA when I opened pool..that was possibly a mistake I am thinking now too. But I will wait a week (or whatever you tell me) and test CYA and refine from there. In the meantime, I am using liquid chlorine to pseudo-shock. I totally appreciate you all helping a gal out.

How much CYA did you add? You could certainly test it now to find out if you started from 0 (really should have tested before adding more) and at least know that it may still be rising some.

You may be surprised that it is higher than you expected, and therefore might not be adding enough FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is a good morning here at the beach. I did my OCLT and my loss was.....0! I also did a CYA test this am and I have 30 ppm on that so now I am officially going to start shocking - even though my OCLT was perfect! The pool has only been open two days so there is still some stuff to resolve but what a great start. Thanks so much for all the help. :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.