Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Season 2 on BBB

1. Back To Top    #1

Season 2 on BBB

Hello this is my second season on the BBB method and so far so good.

Im not sure if this should take longer or not but just like last year it is taking awhile it seems like to clear my pool of algae. I believe the problem is with my filter, i have been keeping my pool at shock level for 5 days now and in the past 2-3 days the FC level has not really gotten farther then 3 below shock level of 12 for my pool, and today it didn't move at all over night. So i think my filter has trouble filtering out the dead algae. I had this same problem last year. I feel like there is a problem with my system, i wish i could try someone else's pool for a year just to see how it should go or maybe its just me...

Here is the test for this morning:

FC: 14
    CC: > 0.5

Here are pictures from day 4 and today day 5:

5/31/12

6/1/12
    16'x32' / 21,000 Gal / In Ground / Vinyl
    Hayward Sand Filter S220T / Hayward-Magnetek 1/2 HP Pump
    Nitro Wall Climber Robotic Pool Cleaner
    BBB
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Season 2 on BBB

I can assume you are running your pump 24/7, correct? How is the pressure? And how often are you backwashing? Stick with it and you will have a trouble free pool soon!

3. Back To Top    #3

2 weeks is not uncommon.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by blakej
    I can assume you are running your pump 24/7, correct? How is the pressure? And how often are you backwashing? Stick with it and you will have a trouble free pool soon!

Yes pump has not been turned off at all

When clean pressure is 11 psi ... not sure if thats good or bad or does it vary by system...?

I try to backwash at least once a day...

Current measurements:

FC: 11
    CC: 1

Would adding clarifier or DE speed up the process or make it more complicated ?

Thanks
    BBB
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

@RobbieH

Do you have pictures of your pool posted somewhere? by your sig looks like its a must see!
    BBB
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

1. Keep the FC ABOVE 12ppm at all times ... shoot a little high if you will be away.
    2. Backwash your filter when it goes up 20-25% of your clean pressure. For you, before 14psi
    3. Keep the faith

Given that the pool is still green and not cloudy/blue ... there is still algae living. How certain are you of your CYA level?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ya i just added some more chlorine

i will keep an eye out on the pressure

I've tested it a couple times before and it looked to be around 30... i still have not understood if the test means once it gets hazy or once you can not see the dot at all... cuz if its just a little haze then mine is higher then that.. Also if i test now will it be accurate anyways from high FC ?

thanks
    BBB
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gorgio1
    Ya i just added some more chlorine

i will keep an eye out on the pressure

I've tested it a couple times before and it looked to be around 30... i still have not understood if the test means once it gets hazy or once you can not see the dot at all... cuz if its just a little haze then mine is higher then that.. Also if i test now will it be accurate anyways from high FC ?

thanks
    The moment the dot disappears (as in, like you didn't know it was there in the first place), the test is done. Sounds like your CYA is higher, which means you need to hold a higher shock level.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

9. Back To Top    #9

Current Readings Day 6:

FC: 9
    CC: 0
    ph: 7.5
    CYA: 45 - 30 ? Look Below V...

Here is how i did my CYA test... Let me know which level i should choose:

Here was around 50 -60:

40:

30:

20:

What i would have said before would have been about 30 CYA correct me if i am wrong...?

Here is my ph test just for fun... 7.5 right?:

And here is the current condition of my pool... it does seem to be getting better:

Thanks everyone!
    BBB
    TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Your CYA is around 20. I can see the black dot at 30. The black dot should be completely gone, as if it was never there, even if you stare at it for several seconds.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Slowly but surely! #BBB

Thanks everyone for all your efforts!

BBB
    TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Your CYA tube was in direct sunlight and that will tend to under-estimate the CYA reading so I'm guessing more like 30-40 instead of 20 where Jason is correct if one just looks at the pictures. You should hold the tube in front of you with your back to the sun so that you are shading the tube. You want strong indirect sunlight, not direct sunlight.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"