Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get pool to hold Chlorine!

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get pool to hold Chlorine!

18 x 36 Oval with vinly liner. Hayward s-200 filter and Hayward 1.5 hp super pump.

FC = 1
    TC = .5
    PH = 7.5
    ALK = 80
    CH = 60 ( Not really worried since it's a vinyl liner)
    CYA = 120 (I think this is my problem).

I opened the pool a few weeks ago and PH was good and ALK was a little low. I usually have it tested at pool store first time just for piece of mind. I have a Taylor K-6000 test kit I use the rest of the time. The funny thing is my initial test kit showed CYA of 120 and pool store said 40. I said test it again please and they got 60. I said try it one more time and they got 115 which is basically what I tested. My faith in their tests is a bit diminished.

I'm assuming I'm gonna have to do the drain, refill, drain, refill method to get the CYA down to reasonable level. One chart I saw online said with my CYA level my FC needed to be around 6-8 for a "normal level". The pool calculator said I needed 3 of the 128oz containers of bleach to get my FC up to that level. I'm done with the 3" tabs and am going to bleach only in the future. Does that much bleach seem reasonable to put in at one time?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't get pool to hold Chlorine!

CYA is WAY too high, CCs are borderline. You need to drain 2/3-3/4 of your water and start over. Once you do that, see if you can pass the overnight chlorine loss test pool-school/overnight_fc_test, if not you need to follow the shock PROCESS pool-school/shocking_your_pool. Don't go to the pool store and buy a bag of "shock" and expect it to solve the problem.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

So I drained 1/3 water and refilled and retested CYA using the 1/2 reagent 1/2 tap water test and got around 36 so CYA is down to 70-75. Per the pool calculator my shock level is 25 so I added 9.5 128oz jugs of chlorine to try to get to shock level. I waited and hour and test and got a whopping 4 ppm of free chlorine on my test strips and my Taylor k-2006 kit. I stopped there and retested this morning and FC was back down to .5. I've definitely got something eating my chlorine and it's not the sun.

I'm kinda at a loss as to what to do now. I'm running of patience and cash to keep throwing at this pool. Where do I need to go next?

4. Back To Top    #4

[shock:2ysi9rd9]You should shock your pool.[/shock:2ysi9rd9]
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I was attempting to shock it with the 9 jugs of chlorine. I was expecting my water to get up to 25 and then try to hold it there and run thru the entire shock routine but it only went to 4 with the prescribed amount of chlorine per the calculator. That is what has me confused.

6. Back To Top    #6

Chlorine gets used up very quickly fighting organics in the water. As the instructions describe, you need to repeat the process over and over again until your FC level holds.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Started the shock program yesterday.

8 am FC=.5 raised it up to 25
    11 am FC = 15 raised it back to 25
    5 pm FC = 15 raised it back to 25
    10 pm FC = 24 raised it back to 25 (thought I was making some headway)

8 am this morning (had torrential rains last night) FC = 14 raised it back to 25

We'll have to see how the day goes today. The local dollar general stores are tired of seeing me buying up all their 182 oz bottles of bleach.

8. Back To Top    #8

Are you testing to confirm that you have reached shock level?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, I'm testing each time to make sure I'm hitting 25pmm.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by cec311311
    Yes, I'm testing each time to make sure I'm hitting 25pmm.
    The reason I asked is because we do not get good reports from dollar store bleach. Usually they are past the expiration date and have lost strength.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Water lost .5 ppm from 8am until about 1pm. I'm hoping this is just the standard loss I'm gonna have everyday from the sun. I am starting to see alot of dead black algea on the bottom of the pool. I'm assuming this is a good thing? I didn't have time at lunch to vaccum but will this afternoon. Hopefully I can get it to hold overnight and slowly bring it down to my target level.

12. Back To Top    #12

It sounds like you are well on your way.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

13. Back To Top    #13

Well hopefully I have it licked. Pool lost about 2 ppm thru the day and only 1 ppm overnight. The water is as clear as it has ever been. Gotta let the FC come down a little and then get PH back in line. Got my K-2006 reagent refills yesterday and retested my CYA using the 1/2 tap water 1/2 pool water and a straight CYA test and both showed it down to around 75 (will work on this thru the summer).

I truly appreciate all the help and am a convert to the BBB method of pool maintenance.