Safe way to use a bunch of CalHypo packets

Apr 27, 2012
High Point, NC
I had a bad experience with my pool builder last fall and in an attempt to make up for it, he gave me a large bucket full of 1 lb CalHypo packets. I am trying to figure out if there is a safe way to use these packets (other than for shocking which if I do my job right will be almost never).

I have seen the videos (and read the label warnings), so I know that it would not be safe to only use part of a packet. I ran the numbers on the Pool Calculator and according to it, a full packet adds 5.7 FC to my pool. I keep my pool in the 40-50 CYA range, so there would rarely be a time that I would want to add 5.7 FC at a time. I usually add about 2 ppm FC per day via bleach.

Can you guys think of any way to use these? Would it be safe to pre-dissolve them in water and bottle that to dispense like Bleach? Sell them on Craig's list? I hate having all that stuff just sitting there so I am hoping you guys will have some ideas.

Of course you can add just part of the packet. They just WANT you to use the entire packets so you'll buy more!

First you need to know your existing CH level, to make sure using the cal-hypo isn't going to drive your CH too high. If your CH is too high, give them away or sell them.

RobbieH said:
Of course you can add just part of the packet. They just WANT you to use the entire packets so you'll buy more!

First you need to know your existing CH level, to make sure using the cal-hypo isn't going to drive your CH too high. If your CH is too high, give them away or sell them.

I thought CalHypo was very combustible, so can you safely do that? How would you store the left over?

I have very low CH + a vinyl pool, so CH is a non-issue for me. If it is safe to store the left over (say use a ziplock bag until next time), then that would probably be a good solution as half a bag would do me fine for my normal Chlorine addition.

Wrap the top of the bag down, store in a ziplock. I have a large barrel of 73% cal hypo, and I haven't blown up yet. :) Well, technically I don't have it anymore, I gave it to a friend last week to start up his plaster pool. It is a slow way to add CH, but it's working. He needed to shock too, had a black algae outbreak last year, so it's working for him. He had 160 CH, his pool is so small that keeping his FC up with the cal hypo only adds about 10ppm a day... so he will be there by tonight when I go to check on him hopefully.

Use it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.