Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quartzscapes, Diamond Brite, or...?

1. Back To Top    #1

Quartzscapes, Diamond Brite, or...?

Met with PB #3. He likes quartz finishes. He says the surface is like plaster. Is this true? I have heard it can be abrasive. Possibly installer dependent? What do the folks who have these finishes think?
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quartzscapes, Diamond Brite, or...?

I haven't swam in a Quartzscapes pool, but Diamond Brite has pretty much the same surface as just plaster. My friend with the DB pool said the key is daily sweeping after installation, maybe for up to a month. You have to sweep a lot after regular plaster is installed, too, but he talked like it was extremely important for the DB.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

My Wet Edge Technologies Luna Quartz is supposed to be similar to Diamond Brite, but it's not like plaster. It's fairly smooth, but the surface is more concrete-like than plaster. I've been using a steel brush on it from the beginning (once a week per the mfg's/PB's instructions) and it does not scratch the surface like I believe doing so would scratch plaster. Just seems way harder to me than plaster.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Agreed, but he asked if it was abrasive. Pebble Tec is abrasive and rough on feet, I didn't think DB was anymore so than plaster. When I resurface, I'll be looking at DB, Luna Quartz, etc. I'm not going back with plaster.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

So, HouTex, do you like the finish? No complaints about abrasiveness? How long have you had the pool?
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bpricedo
    So, HouTex, do you like the finish? No complaints about abrasiveness? How long have you had the pool?
    we had diamondbrite installed about a month ago. The finish is pretty smooth, but definitely not as smooth as plaster. But definitely not as rough as pebble sheen/tech
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

7. Back To Top    #7

The pool owner I was talking to said the wire brushing makes all the difference. His is certainly as smooth as my plaster. I was surprised, because the samples of DB the pool folks gave me were nowhere near as smooth.

8. Back To Top    #8

i have quartzscapes level 1 color blue. i think it's slightly rougher than plain marcite but not bad at all. i like mine. i have had my pool 1 year now.

i chose it over diamondbrite and luna quarts because it was cheaper. my upgrade for quartzscapes was about $1200. they wanted about $2500 to upgrade to db or luna quartz and about $3500 to upgrade to pebble.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    Pebble Tec is abrasive and rough on feet
    I havent noticed this and my feet are in boots all day normally so they aren't real tough. No one else using it has commented that it is rough on their feet either. Definitely rougher than plaster though.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

All of the quartz finishes are designed to be smooth, but can get sharp edges if installed or maintained incorrectly. They are intended to have quartz crystals just showing at the surface in a field of plaster. But if the plaster gets etched away by low PH you can eventually have sharp edges of the crystals exposed. Having that happen is rather unusual, but you do hear about it happening now and then.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Houtex do u have a picture of your French gray. We r looking at this color but worried about it being too dark (thus making the pool warmer) in the Texas sun.
    Planning a IG 30,200 gal, (35x18)with spa, Geometric shape, DE filter, likely Pebble tec or similar, 2-1.5hp pumps, no waterfall just 3-spills from back, pentair equip
    Cypress, TX

12. Back To Top    #12

Our PB told us Quartzscape was more difficult to apply and he didn't like the results. They are discontinuing it. He said it had more plaster in it as well.

ColorScape is suppose to be the same as 3M according to our PB and is what he suggested for us to get.

There seems to be different grades of quartz crystals. S is a smaller round shape and the T is an irregular larger shape. The S is suppose to be smoother feel. Also if the PB acid washes it will be more rough. Our PB said to let the quartz expose naturally to get a smoother finish.
    24k gal 16x38, spa 7x6, Colorscape Caribbean Blue plaster, Pentair Intelliflow, Hayward jacuzzi air pump, Pentair 520 filter, Raypak 336k cu-ni heater, Aquabot Turbo T... pool remodel finished 8/2012.

13. Back To Top    #13

We went with Quartzscape and have been happy with it. We had a good installer and they did a nice job. Very smooth.

We know someone who works for probably the biggest (and arguably the best) plaster company here in Vegas and I asked out of all the products they install pebble, quartz, plaster etc. what would he put in his pool and I was shocked, he said "plain white plaster" and here's a guy who is in the business who has been plastering pools for probably 25 years.

We too liked French gray but didn't go with it due to the warnings of having bath water in the summer so we then thought we'd go with Tahoe Blue. Well after talking to the plaster guy (friend not contractor we went with) he told us he thought it too would be too dark for Vegas summers and would have mottling issues so we went with what's called "blue" and we've really liked it. It's like white plaster with a kick. So far we're happy with our choice.

Oh one last thing, I agree that brushing is the key, brush brush brush.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by march2012 View Post
    we had diamondbrite installed about a month ago. The finish is pretty smooth, but definitely not as smooth as plaster. But definitely not as rough as pebble sheen/tech
    Just curious - do you still like your Diamond Brite? I have a PB recommending it to me.
    13,500 gal with sheer descents, pebblesheen, travertine coping, fire bowls, Pentair all around including remote and automation, chlorinator, borates, raised 7x7 spa in Cypress, TX.

15. Back To Top    #15

We've got Diamond Brite (cool blue). It's very smooth, but not slippery: like a super fine sandpaper or shark's skin. The pool is only a few months old, and so far we're really pleased. Our builder was very confident in the plaster subs and feels that with proper chemistry and regular maintenance it can outlive the manufacturer's lifespan.
    20k IG gunnite/diamond brite, chlorine, cart filter, VS intelleflo pump, 400k mastertemp heater, easytouch 8, TF100. 20x40 free form, beach entry, attached spa, gunnite slide.

16. Back To Top    #16

We have DB SuperBlue. We absolutely love it. Not rough, not slippery.... Just right.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by srtate View Post
    We have DB SuperBlue. We absolutely love it. Not rough, not slippery.... Just right.
    Can you post a picture? This is what my husband wants... does it look like white plaster from a distance? PB also recommends this.

I'm leaning toward pebblesheen granite blue, for color (I want a mid-tone gray), purported color consistency and longevity.
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

18. Back To Top    #18

Top picture is a month or so ago. Bottom pictures are 10 min ago.

IMG_4803.jpgIMG_3596.jpg

IMG_3598.jpg

19. Back To Top    #19

Geez, it gorgeous!! But I think I need something more brooding
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks. Pool was finished mid-November. We looked at a pool that had this plaster done about 6 months before ours, and it was even more blue. If you want a deeper/darker blue, this may not be the color for you.