Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Would you continue using swg if top rails are rusting?

1. Back To Top    #1

Openning pool....stick with swg or without

We have had the swg hooked up for 2 years and have noticed rusting of the top rails. Should I continue with the swg or convert back to normal? Is it easy? Would the pool warranty cover replacing the top rails? 3 rails are affected.

2. Back To Top    #2

Would you continue using swg if top rails are rusting?

We have used a swg for 2 years and 3 top rails are rusting. Would you stop using swg because of this? How do I fix it? Would it be covered under pool warranty? The pool is only 4 years old.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Would you continue using swg if top rails are rusting?

Warranties vary quite a bit. Some of the better ones would cover that, many won't.

If the rails rusted after 2 years with salt, they would have rusted after 3 to 5 years without salt.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Portland, Oregon

You can't stop rust once it starts, and it's doubtful switching from SWG would actually help the situation. My poles rusted significantly too after I added the salt at the end of season two with this pool. Pretty sure Intex covers nothing past the first year and the reality is that while they CAN be left up all winter, they're not intended for it.

I suppose best practice would be to take the pool down every year, sand blast or wire brush the pole ends and socket T insides and re-paint. Paint is about the only way to prevent or stall rust but it has to be re-applied to a rust free surface regularly. Painting rust never works.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tecumseh, OK

On year two with a swg and so far we do have a few tiny spots that have started to rust on one piece by the stairs where we get in and out. I used a wire brush and then touched it up with matching paint. It's where the powder coat has chopped off from the pool flexing. With the ease of maintenance with a swg I would be very hard pressed to ever not use one again. All the parts that rust can be replaced for a minimal cost if they happen to rust out. Guess that's just part of own a pool and maintenance...

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -