Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Could use some help

1. Back To Top    #1

Could use some help

Hey guys, I opened my pool two weeks ago. This was the first time opening by myself since purchasing my house last april. Its a 22,000 gal inground pool but was built back in '84 with vinyl lining I'm in Indiana and we have had record heat lately so the pool was a bit green upon opening. I got it blue quickly but cant seem to get rid of the cloudy water and it keeps eating my chlorine. I can make out the floor of the shallow end but just abotu nothing in the deep end. I have tried everything the pool store has told me to do along the way but no real dramatic improvement but very costly. I even changed all the sand in my filter this past weekend. I tested my water 3 days ago and these were my results:

Saturation idx: .8
    TC: .6
    FC: .6
    PH: 7.9
    Tot Alk: 254
    Adj Alk: 254
    Tot Hardness: 245

I then added a gallon on muratic acid split between two nights and shocked my pool a few hours after the first treatment of acid. I will soon get my water tested again but do not see visable differences since that. Any idea whats going on or what I should do before I continue to take the pool stores advice?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Could use some help

Welcome to the forum!
    My first bit of advice would be to order your own test kit. Pool store tests are notorious for being inconsistent and quite frankly - wrong. When you do get your own kit, post a full set of your own results here and we'll all go from there.
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Could use some help

Quote Originally Posted by dbrown224
    I then added a gallon on muratic acid split between two nights and shocked my pool a few hours after the first treatment of acid. I will soon get my water tested again but do not see visable differences since that. Any idea whats going on or what I should do before I continue to take the pool stores advice?
    Your version of "shocking the pool" is likely very different than ours. The first thing I can see, if you can believe the pool store results, is that there is far too little chlorine in your pool. Take a look at Pool School, and specifically How to Shock Your Pool.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry