Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 0 FC and 0 CC?

1. Back To Top    #1

0 FC and 0 CC?

So after getting my pool sparkly , I wanted to help out my brother in law. his pool is larger at 23000 gal and is salt water with C generator, pebble tech, and cartridge filters.

We were there over the holiday and the pool seemed green to me (but then again i have been looking at my tfp - clean and clear). So i wanted to test it and see what i could do to help him get it sweet . The chlorine generator is not working (thats next on the list after balancing chems).

so after testing with tf100, this is what i got:
    fc: 0
    cc: 0
    tc: 0
    ph: 7.8 (not worried since we are going to drain some)
    ta: 160 (draining water)
    ch: 850 (ugh - again, draining)
    cya: 45

we're looking at about 60% drain to get ta and ch cut in half. i'm sure we are going to have to add some stabilizer too. My plan is to use granulated with cya to start and bring the rest of the cya up using liquid stabilizer. (smart?)

what i do not understand is the tf100 fc and cc test that i did - i added the 870 and got NO pink.
    This is 0 ppm fc, right?
    after that, i added 5 drops of 0003 and had NO color change.
    This is 0 ppm cc, right?

so why is the water kinda green? does the fact that there is 0 fc influence the cc testing?

thanks to anyone - all you guys are great for sharing all your knowledge and help!
    1992 15X30 14000 Gal IG plaster, Pentair 011018 - Intelliflo VS Pump with Timer, 350 lb Sta-rite hrpb30 sand (yeah, the 32-bolt clamshell)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 0 FC and 0 CC?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiccolli
    My plan is to use granulated with cya to start and bring the rest of the cya up using liquid stabilizer. (smart?)
    Expensive, the liquid that is.

what i do not understand is the tf100 fc and cc test that i did - i added the 870 and got NO pink.
    This is 0 ppm fc, right?
    Most likely. From the extended test kit directions:
    Using the small spoon shaped end of the dipper, add one heaping dipper, or two level dippers, of R-0870 and swirl to mix. If the sample turns pink for a moment and then turns clear again, or if it turns brown, add another dipper of R-0870. If the sample remains clear the entire time, your FC level is probably zero, however it is best to verify that with an OTO chlorine test, since the FAS-DPD test is prone to the occasional false zero.
    after that, i added 5 drops of 0003 and had NO color change.
    This is 0 ppm cc, right?
    Yes

so why is the water kinda green? does the fact that there is 0 fc influence the cc testing?
    Having no CC is not a sign of no algae...that is why there are 3 criteria in the shocking process. Also, remember CC is an intermediate breakdown product due to chlorine sanitizing the pool. No chlorine for awhile will equate to no CC, since CC will eventually be removed by sunlight.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: 0 FC and 0 CC?

Before deciding to drain, check the CH of his fill water, if it is high it will not help much, TA can be handled other ways.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~