Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Choosing what type of chemical to use

1. Back To Top    #1

Choosing what type of chemical to use

So I cant decide weather to use Chlorine or Baquacil.

What is the pro's and con's of both?

I am sorry if there is a thread on this already.
    Which one is easier to maintain, pool newbi here

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Choosing what type of chemical to use

There's a whole forum dedicated to Baquacil: baquacil-use-and-conversion-f44.html

You won't find many proponents of it here....
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Portland, Oregon

You're up Leebo
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW Louisiana

I can say this much, I did the baqua thing for years, would never go back now that I have switched to BBB
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Amarillo, Texas

I have never, ever met anyone that was happy with their baquacil pool. Never!
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

6. Back To Top    #6
    Silver Spring, MD

Quote Originally Posted by mpacheco72
    I have never, ever met anyone that was happy with their baquacil pool. Never!
    We have had a few people who still like baqua show up here, but they are dramatically outnumbered by the people who have had nothing but problems.

The big thing baqua has going for it is that it isn't chlorine. Other than that, it is more expensive, more difficult to keep balanced, and tends to stop working after a year or two unless you replace half your water and your filter media/cartridge every year. For the extremely small number of people with a true chlorine allergy (nearly every who thinks they are allergic are actually allergic to byproducts produced when chlorine pools are poorly maintained) baqua is the only choice. Otherwise you should avoid it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School