Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15' above ground swamp full of mosquitoes. Broken pump.

1. Back To Top    #1

15' above ground swamp full of mosquitoes. Broken pump.

Sometime during the end of last year, my pump stopped turning. I had 100 other things going on with everything in life, and put it off to the side. Here we are come spring, my water is black, and it's FULL of mosquitoes and water boatmen (and who knows what else). Undecided if I'm going to drain/clean/refill, or if I should try to treat what I have. I can have it refilled by hose in about one day if I decide to drain it.

First thing is to bring my pump back to the pool store and see if they will exchange it; it only lasted maybe 3 months.
    17K saltwater, freeform pebbletec with spa; Hayward cartridge filter, Hayward Northstar 2.4HP 2-speed pump, Hayward H400 heater. Hayward T-CELL-15 salt cell.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 15' above ground swamp full of mosquitoes. Broken pump.

Who knew daddy-long-legs can walk on the surface of water?

Don't know if I'm beyond the point of no return or what.
    17K saltwater, freeform pebbletec with spa; Hayward cartridge filter, Hayward Northstar 2.4HP 2-speed pump, Hayward H400 heater. Hayward T-CELL-15 salt cell.

3. Back To Top    #3

That looks nasty to me. I'm sure you could clean it up but if it's only a day job to drain and refill, why not spend two days and do it right. Drain it, clean the pool completely while it's empty and then refill. You'd be good to swim in a couple of days instead of a week or two. Besides, I would always know the water looked like that at one time and it would stick in the back of my mind regardless of how sparkling you get it.
    Just sayin'
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.

4. Back To Top    #4

Apparently goldfish love mosquito larvae. You could buy some $.27 feeder fish and let em eat while your pump is in the shop. hehe

If your pump was working I might suggest skimming and shocking but it might be just as simple to drain and clean. At least the larvae would die. What's that spider looking thing in the middle anyway? Ewwww!
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

That looks like a traditional agp line (i.e. not an intex) right? If it is, how old is the liner? Fully draining a vinyl liner pool can be risky and as a liner ages, it gets even riskier. If you do decide to try it, make sure you do not let the liner dry out. I guess I would lean towards doing the shocking process after the pump is back for the liners sake.

Other considerations are how expensive your fill water is and does it have metals or high CH.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Correct it is a 'normal' AGP. I only put it up last year; it is not even a year old yet. I'm thinking of draining it too and just starting over.

Cost to fill is not excessive.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah I would drain that thing yesterday. Ewww.
    1200 gallon, 10'x30" Intex AG metal frame
    Type A cartridge filter, 1000 gph pump, wall mounted skimmer.

8. Back To Top    #8

drain the suck at sunset and through the night..then start filling the next day..that way you'll have minimal sun/drying, heating exposure to your liner. rent or borrow a trash pump..you could have that pool drained in less than 2 hours.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Opted to find out what was causing the low pump flow (small twig in the impeller), pumping fine now. Pulled what I could off the top of the pool. Dumped 4 gallons of shock in there, let it circulate w/o the filter overnight just to get the water going (and we had a massive storm and it was babysitter night). Threw the filter in today. It's already looking 100x better. All the mosquitoes are dead. Need to let it clear up a bit so I can see the bottom (hopefully), then start scooping up anything I can see down there. I don't want to press anything through the liner. After that then I can vacuum and scrub the walls a few times.

10. Back To Top    #10

Darn things. Crawled out from under the filter after I carried it up front. Glad I had gloves on.

Look, it's already looking better.

Just kidding. Here's where I'm at right now.

11. Back To Top    #11

Lol you got me.... Black widows oh noes!!!! Glad u had gloves on.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

12. Back To Top    #12

wow, it already looks SIGNIFICANTLY better!

13. Back To Top    #13

Now being that it was full of mosquitoes etc., is there any viral concern or anything else I need to be aware of? Or just let the pump run, vacuum it out, and then take the water in for a sample reading? (I bought a kit last year but would prefer professional help getting it started).

14. Back To Top    #14

run the pump, continuously, sweep down your walls, vacuum to waste, and use your leaf rake for the big junk. Keep your chlorine up at shock level, and it'll kill everything off...so you won't have to worry about anything viral, or bacterial.

It's looking much better already..just keep at it, and DON'T STOP!!
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

15. Back To Top    #15

How do I know how much shock I need to use. I started off with 4 gallons. I also threw 5 jumpo chlorine tabs into the floating dispenser.

Any tips? Thank you.

16. Back To Top    #16

If you have one of the test kits recommended here I wouldn't go to the pool store. I'd use it to post a set of test results and let the pros here get your started in the right direction.
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

17. Back To Top    #17

OK I will do that then. I've never done it before so of course I have some nerves about doing it wrong.

18. Back To Top    #18

That's why we're here! We've all been first timers. We'll walk you through it. Which kit do you have?
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

19. Back To Top    #19

Ah, jeez. I just saw it like a week ago, now it's not where I thought I saw it...figures. I'll find it and let you know!

20. Back To Top    #20

Never could find it. Just ordered the TF100-XL kit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast