Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: accuracy of Leslie's vs home taylor?

1. Back To Top    #1

accuracy of Leslie's vs home taylor?

I Finally got my TF-100 test kit a few days ago. I did the tests today, then brought some water to Leslie's to compare with their test. They were way off! I got : PH 7.8 and Chorine of 1-2 on the quick OT test. on the more accurate DPD I got FC 2; CC 0.5, TA 110, CH 560; CYA never worked- I could alway see the black dot till the red tipped vial was empty, and cylinder was overflowing. the results from Leslie's were: FC 0.5, CC 0.5 (he said they were barely visible, but >0); TA 80; CH 300; CYA 20; PH 7.4.
    I would normally assume I was in error, but with new reagents (never in the sun), and test which are easy to read - color changes after a drop is not very subjective. (I carefully measured each sample and did both tests within 30 min.
    I do believe the CYA is low, so I added some. I have questions as to why the drop, But I added them to another thread.
    16 K gal pool & spa, concrete (pebblefina), Jandy aquapure SWG, Jandy pda-PS3, PV3 infloor cleaning. built 2011, scottsdale,az

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: accuracy of Leslie's vs home taylor?

They were not as off as some we have seen ... but not very good either.

CYA of 20ppm is really the minimum of the test so could be anything less than 20ppm ... which matches your test. Definitely sounds like you need to add CYA.

And trust your own kit
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

That's a classic example of why we harp on people to get their own test kit. You never know how bad they're going to be.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW Louisiana

Remember the CYA test is considered only accurate within about 10 ppm, a lot depends on light conditon when reading it, for best results view in daylight with the sun to your back, so at least you were both close.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~