Just had installed: Pentair intelliflo variable drive

Foo Fighters

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 6, 2011
Southern Nevada
I just had the Pentair intelliflo variable drive pool pump # 011018 installed this week, to replace a 5 year old 2hp Pentair.

Installer still has it turning on and off from the Intermatic mechanical timer, but he mentioned something about a relay, and was going to get back to me. Labor charge of 4 hours at $95 an hour to connect new pump/motor. I wasn't there when it was being done. First time using this guy, so my confidence isn't where it should be yet.

Any opinions about the relay or advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

The 011018 has a built in timer so you don't need an external timer. The instructions are in the manual.

I did the exact exchange myself. The plumbing and electrical was pretty easy, but was complicated by the fact that the lines to my heater would have blocked access to the control panel on the new pump. This necessitated some clever replumbing. In any event, I also had my WhisperFlo connected to an Intermatic timer. Initially, I just redid the wiring in a simple manner by using the original wires in flex conduit from the timer to the IntelliFlo. Then, I removed the timer "dogs" from the Intermatic so that the pump would always be powered on. This allowed me to use the built in timer to run for a couple of hours at high for a cleaning cycle and then to switch over to 1/2 speed for another six or so hours for circulation. It's quite simple to program the IntelliFlo to run at different speeds at different times.

I recently ran a new sub-panel to the pool house and now have the IntelliFlo on its own dedicated GFCI breaker. So, the Intermatic timer is now gone. I eventually plan to automate all of this with an EasyTouch or similar system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.