Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just had installed: Pentair intelliflo variable drive

1. Back To Top    #1

Southern Nevada

Just had installed: Pentair intelliflo variable drive

I just had the Pentair intelliflo variable drive pool pump # 011018 installed this week, to replace a 5 year old 2hp Pentair.

Installer still has it turning on and off from the Intermatic mechanical timer, but he mentioned something about a relay, and was going to get back to me. Labor charge of 4 hours at $95 an hour to connect new pump/motor. I wasn't there when it was being done. First time using this guy, so my confidence isn't where it should be yet.

Any opinions about the relay or advice would be appreciated. Thanks,
    First time pool owner. Fired pool guy in mid 2014. Purchased home w/ plaster 14,500 gal 16x32 inground + spa, all newer Pentair equipment.
    Test kit: Taylor K-2006 Pump: Intelliflo variable drive # 011018 4x160 Filter: Triton Fiberglass Sand Heater: MasterTemp

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Just had installed: Pentair intelliflo variable drive

The 011018 has a built in timer so you don't need an external timer. The instructions are in the manual.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Orange County, CA

Re: Just had installed: Pentair intelliflo variable drive

I did the exact exchange myself. The plumbing and electrical was pretty easy, but was complicated by the fact that the lines to my heater would have blocked access to the control panel on the new pump. This necessitated some clever replumbing. In any event, I also had my WhisperFlo connected to an Intermatic timer. Initially, I just redid the wiring in a simple manner by using the original wires in flex conduit from the timer to the IntelliFlo. Then, I removed the timer "dogs" from the Intermatic so that the pump would always be powered on. This allowed me to use the built in timer to run for a couple of hours at high for a cleaning cycle and then to switch over to 1/2 speed for another six or so hours for circulation. It's quite simple to program the IntelliFlo to run at different speeds at different times.

I recently ran a new sub-panel to the pool house and now have the IntelliFlo on its own dedicated GFCI breaker. So, the Intermatic timer is now gone. I eventually plan to automate all of this with an EasyTouch or similar system.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.