Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The pool is ready!

1. Back To Top    #1

The pool is ready!

And now for the tweaking. I shocked my pool this weekend, and tonight the chlorine is down to okay levels (well, 4.5, which I'm sure is safe to swim in). I redid all my tests, and here are my results;

FC - 4.5
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.5
    TA - 110
    CH - 150
    CYA - 33 (about)

From looking at the pool calculator, and using the pool calculator, it is telling me to raise the CH and CYA. Since my pool gets a lot of sun, I think raising the CYA to at least 40 is a good idea, and my calcium hardness does seem quite low. But I thought I'd run my numbers by the group before I do anything.
    21,000 gallon (+ or -) in-ground plaster pool with Nautilus DE filter, 1 hp pump, and Zodiac G4 automatic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Phoenix, AZ

Re: The pool is ready!

Sounds like you are on the right track!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

You've got a good grasp of things. I would suggest raising CYA to 50 if you really get a lot of sun. Your chlorine consumption will be fairly high (I'd guess 3-5ppm daily) at 35 CYA.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Lucky you! You can buy Cal hypo (typically sold in one pound bags as "shock". Leslies sells it as Power Powder Plus) to chlorinate and raise CH levels. The Pool Calculator will be able to tell you how much to add, as well as how much you can add safely. Use the "effects of adding chemicals" part near the bottom to see how much CH goes up for each pound you add.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!