Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best time to run pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best time to run pump?

I was wondering if there was any consensus as to the best time to run the pool pump, since it only runs roughly 8 - 10 hours a day, give or take. Seems to me that night would be best, at least when you add chlorine to the pool, since that is best done after the sun drops low, and you'd want to run the pump to disperse the chlorine. Am I correct? Or doesn't it matter?
    Kelleyaynn
    21,000 gallon (+ or -) in-ground plaster pool with Nautilus DE filter, 1 hp pump, and Zodiac G4 automatic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best time to run pump?

I would think when the sun is out. UV destroys the Cl in the top layer so you need to keep it circulating during prime algae growing hours. Add chlorine late in the day and run the pump for an hour to mix it up.

We run ours from 8 am to 11pm and auto add chlorine in the morning and early evening. But we are thinking about only adding it in the evening.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

3. Back To Top    #3

Many posts on this recently ... try the search button.

General consensus ... there is not one. Pros/Cons for day/night. May lean a little toward day. Having multiple short runs over 24 hours may be better.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the input.
    Kelleyaynn
    21,000 gallon (+ or -) in-ground plaster pool with Nautilus DE filter, 1 hp pump, and Zodiac G4 automatic vacuum.