Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need expert diagnostic for pump failure

1. Back To Top    #1

Need expert diagnostic for pump failure

My pool pump began to leak and the motor began to make noise---first time since I bought the home 12 years ago. A pool repair service corrected the leaks and then had another technician replace the motor. I noticed no more visible leaks but found the replaced motor to be somewhat loud. After 6 days, my pool guy noticed there was no suction at the skimmer and found the pump to be running dry---it was smoking and the pump basket became warped. The pump would not prime after we turned off the pump and restarted. I had to replace the entire pump but it's been almost 2 weeks without a problem and the pump is fully primed. This led me to believe I did not have any obstruction with the water pipes and my filter and baskets are periodically clean. So, I would like to see if anyone has some answers as to what could have caused the pump to run dry?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Need expert diagnostic for pump failure

Could have been as simple as the pump lid not tight and pulling in a lot of air ... hard to say.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!