Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noise ratings for pumps

1. Back To Top    #1

Toronto, ON

Noise ratings for pumps

One frustration for our pool system is that the pump is somehwat noisy. Therefore we often shut it off when we are outside on our pool patio - which is almost all summer as we have a TV, etc in our pool area.

Are there any ratings that give the noise levels for various types of pumps? I know that this can depend on a bunch of things but I have had a box constructed with a lead lining that somewhat helps control the noise but perhaps the best way to fix the problem is to get a new, very quiet pump.

There is a website called silentpcreview that has reviews of all sorts of PC components that tests the noise ratings of various options - I guess what I am look for is a silentpoolpumpreview!
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Noise ratings for pumps

Any variable speed pump on a reasonably low speed or two speed pump on low speed will be far quieter than any single speed pump.

Comparing pumps of the same size, the actual amount of noise depends on a large number of factors, only a few of which are determined by the pump. So noise ratings for different models isn't very useful. The largest single factor is the size of the pump, with larger pumps making more noise. But there are a number of other factors that are difficult to predict (or even measure).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School