I'm afraid im in over my head.

i dont have the test strips just the kit. daily test on kit shows 1-2 fc and 7.5ph. i bought a kit of this site which i am beginning to understand. what i dont know is if i should wait to add chlorine, up the swg to 3 hours and wait for the cya to take affect , or should i add chlorine right away?
thanks

Did you up the run time on the swg some?

If you did, and given the fact that you say that the "Water is just looking slightly off to me" I'd say you need to run an OCLT to see if you have something going on. In fact I'd use bleach to get the FC up to shock level for 70 CYA (20 ppm FC) and then run the OCLT tonight. It'll take about 2 large jugs of bleach to get there. Test it after the sun goes down tonight and again in the morning before the sun comes up.

the water

If your chlorine levels drop and your CYA is correct you are not running your salt system long enough - we have a 27' round and my pump and salt system run 16hrs (system is off from 10pm-6am) a day to maintain an FC of about 6-7. You can use the pool calculator and add the recommended amount of bleach - but you are going to have to run your pump/SWG system for longer to maintain your FC level.

thanks all of you greatly appreciated ! what i dont seem to be able to do id figure out what is a good level of fc for a salt water pool. i know it can be lower than a regular system but if i run it for 3 hours it seems to be a 5/10 on the daily test and if i run it for two hours it dropds to 1/2 for chlorine bromine

I noticed a question you asked and I did not see it answered. You asked if the heat can affect your chlorine loss. The answer is yes. I was going through alot of Chlorine here in North Texas when we were in our 100+ degree days. All that heat and sunlight kill chlorine. CYA can protect it somewhat but you still lose some chlorine. As long as your FC is above the minimum and under shock level, it will be ok. However, if you are seeing wide ranges within short periods of time, you should run an OCLT and find out if there is something in the water the FC is fighting.

OCLT >> pool-school/overnight_fc_test

I agree aa62579, don't mess with TA until the other numbers are in balance and you pass an OCLT. I messed with mine and after all my other numbers came in line my TA was too high. I left it alone and it balance out on its own.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! I was told the guy who owns Starbucks had it made but I cannot vouch for the authenticity of that statement. lol. I would like to think so.

This site is a God send as is its members. While I was out bleach hunting yesterday I had questions and got them answered very quickly which saved me alot of time. The only time I have NOT heeded the advice here my pool turned green. lol.

Just remember, if your have a problem, always post it with a fresh set of readings from your test kits. Do that and the solution will come quickly. Pool School is extremely helpful too and will prevent alot of the common pitfalls of pool care.

I have friends who make fun of me for using bleach. They don't think its the "real" way of keeping a pool. However, the first thing they say when they see my water is wow! its so clear! Then they start asking questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.