Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm afraid im in over my head.

I'm afraid im in over my head.

Ok Im afraid im in over my head. i have a salt water system and 1600gph sand filter intex pump for a 12 x 24 x52 intex ultra frame pool. just fiiled it friday and the salt is perfect leslies told me to add 2lbs of leslies conditioner and i did , now they are saying 2lbs of soda ash ( baking soda is the same ? ) and 2.5 pounds of alkalinity.should i be adding this with a salt water system ? this system is the one with copper
    thanks
    robin

ps. yes i know ... i dont know how to type either

intex ultraframe
    Robin
    central new jersey
    24x12x52 intex ultraframe swg 1650 sf

Re: I'm afraid im in over my head.

Please post a complete set of water test results.

Soda ash and baking soda are not the same thing at all. Soda ash raises PH, baking soda raises TA. Washing soda is the same as soda ash.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Welcome to TFP.

Without the test results, we can't give you much more help than Jason's already given you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

One more bit of advice, read pool school (link in the upper right corner of every page here) once your done, let it soak in a bit, then read it again, things tend to make a lot more sense the second time through.
    Indoor 20x40 36,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis panel roof top solar heat with Aquasolar controller, Dolphin Diagnostic Pro Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and soon to be connected UV Ozonator and now Hot Spring Jetsetter standalone spa
    I use and endorse the TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net

You need a good test kit, so your not running to the pool store every time the water needs balancing.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

i have an intex ultraframe 12 x 24x52 intex pool and i bought the good test kit . spoke to dave who was very nice.i have a sale water system with the copper and my test results are 5.5 fc 0cc 5.5tc 120ta 130cht 60cya ph 7.2 salt6.8 i just added cyanuric acid 4 days ago so might not be showing totally yet . should i wait to touch it with anything until cya is showing
    Robin
    central new jersey

I'd say your numbers look just fine.

I wouldn't bother trying to adjust either the TA or the PH. The PH is most likely going to move up on it's own.

Just keep monitoring your levels and you'll get more comfortable with what feels "normal" with your pool.
    15500 Gal Gunite/Plaster circa 1960

thanks so much lightingguy
    Robin
    central new jersey

removing copper plate

could anyone help with how to remove the copper plate in my intex 2010 salt water system. i have been advised to get rid of it
    thanks
    Robin
    central new jersey

All you need to do is unplug it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

still dont quite get it

my numbers are 2.5 fc 0cc ta 120 cya 60 salt 6.8 pool calculator has alot of other stuff i dont get but it is salt water and says add 26oz chlorine ? is that right
    Robin
    central new jersey

What do you have the target for FC set at? It only goes by the difference between your goal and your target. It doesn't care if it's a swg pool or not.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

hey dave i have it set to 4 for fc
    thanks
    Robin
    central new jersey

Oh I forgot to add we are running salt at 2 hours, should I up the time on the SWG or add the chlorine?

pH is coming in at 7.2.
    Robin
    central new jersey

You should up the runtime on the SWG a little

pH of 7.2 is fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

Thanks So Much
    Robin
    central new jersey

CYA

MY CYA IS DOWN TO FIFTY SO I WILL ADD 12 OZ TO BRING IT BACK UP FC IS 2.5 - 3 AND TA IS 110. WATER IS JUST LOOKING SLIGHTLY OFF TO ME
    Robin
    central new jersey

You're doing right by getting the CYA back up.

Also, please quit using ALL-CAPS. It makes it hard to read and is the equivalent of shouting.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

added cya two days ago ran swg for 3 instead of 2 hours and chlorine is still going down it is between 1-2 now on the daily tester . could this be because its so hot?
    Robin
    central new jersey

im afraid i dont have test strips . i have a test kit and fc was 3-4 when i did the weekly test two days ago cc was 0 .cya was only 50 so i added cya with a target of 70. today i used daily tester and ph was 7.5 but chlorine was 1-2
    Robin
    central new jersey