Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacement Diving Board

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacement Diving Board

My 10' Foot S.R. Smith diving board cracked over the weekend and I've been doing a bit of research online in order to find a good deal on a new one. I'm guessing my current stand is a little old and have some questions as to which new boards will fit my current stand. Also since my stand has 4 sets of holes for the fulcrum, can I go with a 8' board instead of a 10'? Any other suggestions?
    [attachment=0:2vy5qtys]diving board.jpg[/attachment:2vy5qtys]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    28K IG Gunite, 60 sq. ft. Pentair DE Filter, 2.2hp WhisperFlo Pump, Polaris 3900 Vac in Baltimore, MD.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacement Diving Board

Are you sure you want to replace it?

Wasn't worth the risk for me and I didn't replace the one for my current pool when I moved here in 1994. I'm no nervous Nellie and I've been a pool owner for 30 years (three different pools), but I've come to believe that diving boards for residential pools are dangerous. It's obvious to me that a diver, especially a tall one, can launch off the board and enter the water well past the deep end. I've done it and I've got a 42' long pool with a 9' well in the deep end and a long, gentle slope back to the shallow end. A shallower, shorter pool and I can see a broken neck in the offing.

Just my opinion.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by CUTiger78
    Are you sure you want to replace it?
    Yes, I do.
    28K IG Gunite, 60 sq. ft. Pentair DE Filter, 2.2hp WhisperFlo Pump, Polaris 3900 Vac in Baltimore, MD.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You'll probably have to send that pic to S R Smith to see what they can provide for you. Purchased new, diving boards are amazingly expensive. With enough patience you may be able to find a used one that someone is ready to sell at a good price.

That's kind of a cool looking platform....I hope you find something that works!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    That's kind of a cool looking platform....I hope you find something that works!
    LOL! That's one way to put it! Sent S.R. Smith an e-mail with the pic so hopefully they'll have some thoughts on it. In the meantime, I've been checking Ebay, Craigslist, etc. Cheapest I've seen for a 10' board is $550.

6. Back To Top    #6

Already got a response from S.R. Smith. They said to stay with the 10' Frontier III board. I got it from Poolsupplyworld.com for 544.00 shipping included.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a ten foot fiberglass diving board that I did not reinstall after redoing the pool apron. I would be glad to see it put to use if possible, otherwise it will be in land fill (nobody benefits). Please indicate if you have any interest.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the offer. I've already purchased a new board and am sure the return shipping would be outrageous anyway.