Pool Newbies with a big leaf problem! And questions...

jlsr

May 22, 2012
Pool Newbies here with an Intex 14'x4' round AGP with a big leaf problem! Our most level spot in the yard happened to be very close and partially under a huge live oak tree; plus all of our property is covered in live oaks. While this will be nice during July and August in Texas, it is not so nice now due to leaves and fuzzies coming off the tree and into the pool!! Every day I am spending hours cleaning up leaves and junk off the bottom of the pool with my handheld leaf skimmer. Since we have had storms the last few days the leaf issue is even worse. The cover that came with the pool just comes off or into the pool with the slightest wind. It is worthless in my opinion. I am wondering if I could use a above ground leaf net by itself to capture the leaves? Maybe something like this?
http://www.cheappoolproducts.com/15ft~R ... oduct.html

Then when we want to swim we just take the mesh cover off. Plus I can't put the Intex cover on or off by myself.

My H got a automatic pool cleaner but it won't even budge by itself so I manually 'vaccuum' with it every day. We think the 1000 gph pump doesn't have enough suction power to run it. I do clean the filter every other day as well. We are thinking of upgrading to the Intex 2500 gph filter pump with timer. We hope to not have to put a lot of extra money into this pool, as we are considering this our 'practice' pool to see if we want to eventually upgrade to an inground after a couple years.

We are brand new at this, and neither of us have any experience whatsoever with owning/maintaining a pool. We are using the BBB method though and were thrilled to find this site. It is awesome.

Thanks for reading, and we're looking forward to replies and suggestions.

Thanks very much! Been reading product reviews of the Intex 2500 gph pump and it sounds like that would be a good replacement but we would need adapters to hook it to our hoses. I believe it was around $100? It would be so nice to be able to swim in it instead of cleaning up leaves ! Thanks again

What would be the advantage of a sand filter pump ? Also is it ok to use just the mesh cover all summer on the pool ? Do we need a big ball or something to hold it up off the water ? Thans again, y'all are great !!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.