Another conversion thread.

JasonLion said:
Two good indicators of how much progress you have made are how much chlorine you are losing overnight and what the CC level is first thing in the morning.

I work third shift so it is hard for me to add last thing at night and check first thing in the morning. Yesterday evening I added enough to get me to 15ppm and when I got up this morning I grabbed a sample and ran to the store to get it tested. My last post was what it tested at. So this morning around 8:30am my CC was .9 and I lost about 13.5ppm. although I didn't add it after dark so some of that loss is probably due to natural loss and some loss this morning. I really need to get my own test kit that I can just use here to get better readings. My pool store is only open from 9am - 5pm.

SwervE said:
I really need to get my own test kit that I can just use here to get better readings. My pool store is only open from 9am - 5pm.

Bingo :goodjob:

There is a link to the recommended kits in my signature ... with a conversion, I highly suggest the TF-100 with XL option.

Note: If you would have ordered it the first time we suggested the kit, you would have it by now ;)

If sounds like you are just starting to have an FC reading in the morning. That means you have completed the first third of the conversion. During the second third you have less work to do. At this point you switch to only adding chlorine in the evenings/night. You can still add chlorine during the day, but sunlight will get most of it and it won't be as helpful as it was during the first third.

Your CC level is fairly low, which is a good sign. That usually means the remainder of the conversion will go a little more quickly than average.

jblizzle said:
SwervE said:
I really need to get my own test kit that I can just use here to get better readings. My pool store is only open from 9am - 5pm.

Bingo :goodjob:

There is a link to the recommended kits in my signature ... with a conversion, I highly suggest the TF-100 with XL option.

Note: If you would have ordered it the first time we suggested the kit, you would have it by now ;)

I know, unfortunately I am working on a budget, and most of that has gone into chlorine. I will be getting the test kit from here, but for now I have to just work it as best I can with the pool store readings.

JasonLion said:
If sounds like you are just starting to have an FC reading in the morning. That means you have completed the first third of the conversion. During the second third you have less work to do. At this point you switch to only adding chlorine in the evenings/night. You can still add chlorine during the day, but sunlight will get most of it and it won't be as helpful as it was during the first third.

Your CC level is fairly low, which is a good sign. That usually means the remainder of the conversion will go a little more quickly than average.

Yeah, I have switched to just adding at night as we have had a few sunny days here and I figured it will just get eaten up by the sun anyway.

So a little update I guess. I added last night at 7:30pm,(before I left for work) sunset isn't untill almost 9pm. I worked late so I didn't get up untill 11am after the sun has already been shining for a few hours. Grabbed a sample and ran to the store. My numbers are as follows.

temp. 75
tot. chl. 2.8
free chl. 1.8
PH: 7.1
tot. alk. 77
total hard. 75

I am resigned to the fact that this will be a longer process than normal as I don't have the time to devote to it like I should. So far I am happy with the results though. The pool looks infinately better than it has in previous years.

While I was at the store I picked up a couple bags of sand as well.

Is there a neighbor or anyone else close who can assist you with this and dose the pool after dark? I also can't help but wonder how many gallons of bleach and gas might be wasted as your time frame increases in comparison to the cost of the kit. If you could test when you get home from work, you'd be able to add chlorine for the day before the sun gets a chance at it.

I know it's said over and over, but it's the honest truth from those of us who have BTDT. Many of us having wasted time or money putting off purchasing a kit due to financial reasons. You'll save yourself much time, effort, and cashola once you get the proper testing tool. It'll pay for itself before you know it.

Do you have any testing equipment? A HTH 6-way (5-way) drop kit perhaps? If so, all you need to add to that kit is the FAS-DPD single test and a CYA reagent refill from TFTestkits.net.

R-0013 CYA Refill - 8 0z. $7.50
FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test $26.00

Subtotal: $33.50

The only kit I have is just a simple cl test kit. I have been using it at night before I leave for work. when i see the cl level is low(it only reads up to 3ppm and it is a total read not specific), I dose up to 15ppm for the night. No worries on the gas, the store is literaly a stones throw from my house. I will be getting a TF-100 very soon.

Yesterday I added some baking soda to bring the alkalinity up a little. I got home this morning around 2:30am. added enough clorox to get me to 13ppm and went to bed. got up at 6am grabbed a water sample and left it on the counter while I went back to bed. Grabbed the sample off the counter and headed to the pool store around noon. These are my numbers.

temp. 75
CYA: 0
Tot. chl 10
free chl 7.9
PH: 7.9
alk. 92
tot. hard 80

Not really sure why there was such a change in the CC? Could it have something to do with the water sitting on my counter in a bottle for 6 hours before I had it tested? Or could it have to do with the spike in PH/alk.? I also hopped in the pool this afternoon armed with a toothbrush to scrub out all the nooks and crannies of the pool. There was some gunk around the jet and the skimmer that I lodged free. But my pool equipment is looking much better than it had before. The skimmer is white again instead of a dull yellow and the return jet is the same. The pump basket is also white again instead of the pinkish color it had turned on the soft swim.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.