Ready to start BBB, how am I looking?

May 26, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Hi guys!

Pool water is blue and very clear, still have some 3" tabs in the chlorinator but not planning on refilling it! I'm ready to start the BBB system!

Here are this mornings readings, how am I looking - are there any red flags in my readings?

FC: 4.5
CC: 1
pH: 7.2
TA: 150
CH: 300
CYA: 51/52

Any advice would be great, thanks!! :)

Yeah that CC test of 1ppm is sort of a warning sign. Since your water is nice and clear, I think you can get it down to .5ppm or less pretty easily.

I suggest you elevate you chlorine to about 8-10ppm and then KEEP IT THERE. Test the FC and CC every morning replenishing the FC to 8-10ppm each day that the CC test is 1.0ppm or greater.

As soon as your CC goes to .5ppm or less, let your FC fall back to maintenance levels and you're good to go.

The biggest flags are the FC and CC readings. The FC at 4.5 is low for your cya level. Add more bleach tonight. The lowest you want it to get is 4. Your cc reading of 1 means something is trying to grow and the chlorine is fighting it off. Shocking the pool is in store....but shouldn't last long.

Which test kit do you use?

RobbieH said:
No, don't use that powder from the pool store. It will add more CYA to your pool, which you don't need. You need to use straight bleach/Clorox.

Thanks Robbie! I'll head to Meijer tonite for 2 96oz jugs (per the calculator). I guess I should pick up some extra jugs while I'm there to have on hand.

I can get 4 gallons of 12.5% liquid from the pool store for $19.80, so I'll be curious to see how much I'll save buying regular bleach instead.

Make sure you get 6% from the store. I thought I should mention that because I've seen as low as 2% for some of the off brands. You'll need more than enough for a single dose, because you'll use it up pretty fast at first. Make sure you read about the shock process before you buy bleach, so you understand how it's going to go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Poolio317 said:
RobbieH said:
I can get 4 gallons of 12.5% liquid from the pool store for $19.80, so I'll be curious to see how much I'll save buying regular bleach instead.

I'm not sure about the price in your area. I know a 182oz of 6% Sams Choice bleach is 2.98 in Ohio....so we'll go with that price.

12% Liquid is $6.50 a gallon 12/100*4*128/19.80= 3.10 ounces chlorine/dollar
6% Liquid is $2.98 for 1.42 gallons 6/100*1.42*128/2.98= 3.65 ounces chlorine/dollar

Works out that the 6% bleach (at least using Wal-Marts price) is cheapest. Post back with Meijer price and we'll do the math again if you wish.

Good luck!

Okay, after testing this morning I got a FC of 3.5 and still a CC of 1, so I added 233 oz. of 6% to hit a target of 8ppm. Going to keep it around 8 for a few days to try to kill that CC.

On the good side, pH is @ 7.4 and the pool is VERY clear! I still have that slight white dust film on the pool sides that I'd love to clean or get rid of. The brush doesnt seem to phase it, but I can see footprints and hand prints in it so it's not stuck on there too hard.

My CH was @ 300, so I don't think it's a calcium thing, maybe just keeping the pH right will solve it?

With CYA around 50, an FC of 8 is the high end of the normal range, while shock level is up around 20 to 24. I recommend you bring FC up into the 20s to get rid of that CC.

Also, you never want FC to fall below 4.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.