Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ready to start BBB, how am I looking?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ready to start BBB, how am I looking?

Hi guys!

Pool water is blue and very clear, still have some 3" tabs in the chlorinator but not planning on refilling it! I'm ready to start the BBB system!

Here are this mornings readings, how am I looking - are there any red flags in my readings?

FC: 4.5
    CC: 1
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 150
    CH: 300
    CYA: 51/52

Any advice would be great, thanks!!
    25,000 Gallons - IG (Cement) - Brand new Pentair Sand Filter & Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Ready to start BBB, how am I looking?

Yeah that CC test of 1ppm is sort of a warning sign. Since your water is nice and clear, I think you can get it down to .5ppm or less pretty easily.

I suggest you elevate you chlorine to about 8-10ppm and then KEEP IT THERE. Test the FC and CC every morning replenishing the FC to 8-10ppm each day that the CC test is 1.0ppm or greater.

As soon as your CC goes to .5ppm or less, let your FC fall back to maintenance levels and you're good to go.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The biggest flags are the FC and CC readings. The FC at 4.5 is low for your cya level. Add more bleach tonight. The lowest you want it to get is 4. Your cc reading of 1 means something is trying to grow and the chlorine is fighting it off. Shocking the pool is in store....but shouldn't last long.

Which test kit do you use?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep.....CC is 1. that might or might not burn off with some sunshine. But I'd do what duraleigh said.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys!

I'm using the Taylor K-2006 kit, and I'm not an expert with it yet. I'll use the Calculator to see how much bleach to add to get it to 8ppm + and I'll take it from there. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

6. Back To Top    #6

I have some bags of Chlor-Brite powder shock from Leslie's..Could I use some of those up to accomplish the same result? I usually use 3 bags to shock the pool after the weekend swimming.

7. Back To Top    #7

No, don't use that powder from the pool store. It will add more CYA to your pool, which you don't need. You need to use straight bleach/Clorox.

Note, shocking your pool is not adding a bag of stuff from the store, it's a process.
    pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    No, don't use that powder from the pool store. It will add more CYA to your pool, which you don't need. You need to use straight bleach/Clorox.
    Thanks Robbie! I'll head to Meijer tonite for 2 96oz jugs (per the calculator). I guess I should pick up some extra jugs while I'm there to have on hand.

I can get 4 gallons of 12.5% liquid from the pool store for $19.80, so I'll be curious to see how much I'll save buying regular bleach instead.

9. Back To Top    #9

Make sure you get 6% from the store. I thought I should mention that because I've seen as low as 2% for some of the off brands. You'll need more than enough for a single dose, because you'll use it up pretty fast at first. Make sure you read about the shock process before you buy bleach, so you understand how it's going to go.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Robbie,

duraleigh suggested getting my FC to 8 and keeping it there..But the chart @ pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock says my "shock" level is 20?

I'm confused. Is my goal FC 8 or 20 to shock it?

11. Back To Top    #11

I believe he is saying you don't need to go through the entire shock process. I'll let him chime in and answer. He knows his stuff!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Poolio317
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    I can get 4 gallons of 12.5% liquid from the pool store for $19.80, so I'll be curious to see how much I'll save buying regular bleach instead.
    I'm not sure about the price in your area. I know a 182oz of 6% Sams Choice bleach is 2.98 in Ohio....so we'll go with that price.

12% Liquid is $6.50 a gallon 12/100*4*128/19.80= 3.10 ounces chlorine/dollar
    6% Liquid is $2.98 for 1.42 gallons 6/100*1.42*128/2.98= 3.65 ounces chlorine/dollar

Works out that the 6% bleach (at least using Wal-Marts price) is cheapest. Post back with Meijer price and we'll do the math again if you wish.

Good luck!

13. Back To Top    #13

Okay, after testing this morning I got a FC of 3.5 and still a CC of 1, so I added 233 oz. of 6% to hit a target of 8ppm. Going to keep it around 8 for a few days to try to kill that CC.

On the good side, pH is @ 7.4 and the pool is VERY clear! I still have that slight white dust film on the pool sides that I'd love to clean or get rid of. The brush doesnt seem to phase it, but I can see footprints and hand prints in it so it's not stuck on there too hard.

My CH was @ 300, so I don't think it's a calcium thing, maybe just keeping the pH right will solve it?

14. Back To Top    #14

With CYA around 50, an FC of 8 is the high end of the normal range, while shock level is up around 20 to 24. I recommend you bring FC up into the 20s to get rid of that CC.

Also, you never want FC to fall below 4.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School