Chlorine still too high

May 24, 2012
Auburn, AL
Hello everyone,

I basically have a new pool setup. I purchased this house a month ago and I did a drain/fill to lower CYA to a sane level. I'm having high tCL issues. Here are my water numbers:

Temp: 84 F
Salt: 3500 ppm
TDS: 2780
FCL: 5.14 (I have to say, it is coming down - was 8.63 four days ago)
tCL: 5.28
CC: 5.28-5.14 = 0.14
pH: 7.4
ALY: 101
CH: 74
CYA: 49

I've been holding off adding CYA in the hopes that the sun would burn off tCL down to the acceptable range. We've had some very sunny days here (Auburn, AL); perhaps I have just not waited long enough?

Pool bather load is light, two swimmers about 3 days per week. Load will be very high next week, though.

Based on the above numbers, what should I do? Just wait?

Thanks,
Phil

Based on the above numbers, what should I do? Just wait?
Your numbers are fine. Consult the FC/CYA chart and you will find you are very close to being perfect. With a big bather load coming up (party?) it is a VERY good idea to increase the FC by about 2-4ppm PRIOR to the expected load...it'll help keep your pool nice and clear.

duraleigh said:
Your numbers are fine. Consult the FC/CYA chart and you will find you are very close to being perfect. With a big bather load coming up (party?) it is a VERY good idea to increase the FC by about 2-4ppm PRIOR to the expected load...it'll help keep your pool nice and clear.

Thanks! I thought everything looked OK just thought tCL should be below 5 ppm.

No party just yet. We're hosting a US Swim School toddler class for a bunch of kids next week; so I'll probably lean more to 4 ppm FC than 2 ppm :lol:

Thanks,
Phil

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.