Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing Hayward DE6020 Filter Lid

1. Back To Top    #1

Clarksville, TN

Removing Hayward DE6020 Filter Lid

I cleaned my filter grids yesterday, and everything went pretty smoothly. One grid had a tear in it so I had to go buy a new one, but other than that, everything appears to be fine. This morning, I went out to check on the filter, and it looks like there MAY be a small leak where the clamp bolt brings the filter body clamp together. There is the possibility that there was dew or something from the night that accumulated and ran down the filter at that certain spot, though. IF there is a leak (I plan to take some time this evening to verify whether or not this is the case), then I'll need to take the lid back off, and re-seat it properly.

Now my question: is there anyway to take the lid off of a filter like this without losing a bunch of DE? That stuff's not cheap, but I know if there is even a small leak I need to take care of it. I know if I pull the drain plug at the bottom I'm going to lose a ton of DE, but can I just turn the pressure release valve at the top and then take the lid off and reseat it?

Any suggestions on how to do this SAFELY and without losing a bunch of freshly added DE would be greatly appreciated.
    15k gallon Concrete Wall Vinyl Liner Deer Creek pool, 2 main drains, 2 skimmers, Dedicated Cleaner return for Polaris 280
    Hayward H250FDN Low-Nox Pool Heater, Sand Filter, Viron P280 Variable Speed Pool Pump, Color-Change LED Light
    In-Line Chlorine Feeder

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Removing Hayward DE6020 Filter Lid

Kill the pump. Open the air bleed and let it drain as much as possible. You might even be able to open the pump strainer and have the water drain back through there.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!