The VS should be fine right

peachy

Feb 19, 2012
was just doing a bit of research and low and behold i've learned something new again. so the VF controls the flow and the VS controls the speed. I didn't even know there's a VF. so like the original poster, if i want to run it 24/7 at the lowest speed regardless of the turnover, the VS should be fine right? i'm sure even at the lowest setting of the VS and ran at the slowest speed, one can still attain the minimum of 1 turn over for a 19,000 gallon pool. correct? would be nice to just know how much is being pump though.

so the 011018 is the VS correct? i thought that model already has a digital screen. noh?

If you spend a little time figuring out your optimal RPM, there is no significant advantage to the VF, and the VS is just fine.

However, you don't want to run on the lowest speed. You want to run on the lowest speed where your skimmers still work efficiently and not below about 900 RPM. Below that the pump gets less efficient. It is also unlikely that you actually want to run 24/7. That pump will move enough water that 12 to 18 hours a day is usually more than enough.

Hi jason. your pool is the same volume as the one we're planning on building. i see you have a 200 sqft cartridge which i was thinking of getting but was wondering what you would recommend? would you still get the same combination? not DE? why the 1/2hp whisperflo instead of the VS—are they the same in terms of efficiency and energy consumption? if i run my VS at the same rpm as yours, will it not consume less energy?

btw, i won't have a skimmer, it's using infinity.

The VS is probably ideal for a infinity pool because the edge skimming works at nearly any flow rate so I would target 1000 RPM and see how things go. Depending on your plumbing setup, that should be between 20-30 GPM. As for cartridge size, NSF 50 recommendations would be at least 150 sq-ft but I like to double that to minimize cleaning frequency.

My pool shed is very tight, so I couldn't fit anything larger. I really wish I had 400 or 500 soft of filter. Larger filters can go longer between backwashing/cleanings and improve overall system efficiency and filtering.

DE gives better water quality, but the improvement is so small that not everyone can even see the difference. DE filters are also more work to maintain and need to be cleaned very frequently during algae blooms. Some people love them, but I would never get one myself.

VS pumps use less electricity, but they also cost more up front. My electric rates are reasonably low, below the $0.20/kwh threshold where VS pumps start to pay back so not worth it for me. If I was buying a new pump over again I would get a dual speed pump, which is much more energy efficient when run on low speed and well worth the small price premium.

JasonLion said:
DE gives better water quality, but the improvement is so small that not everyone can even see the difference. DE filters are also more work to maintain and need to be cleaned very frequently during algae blooms. Some people love them, but I would never get one myself.

Is this because of the tightness of the DE filter? so it gets clog earlier during algae blooms and consequently raises the pressure in the system? I'm like a ping-pong between DE and cartridge.... OK it's settled i'm getting a VS and a cartridge. mas, at 300 ft² that's going to be a very large unit right?

What are the differences between all these models cartridge filters— then seems like the sta-rite has the same model but in black.

i'm thinking something like a posi-clear (PXCRP200) 200 ft² or the clean & clear (CCRP200) which has the same specs. are those basically the same except for the colour? RP means Reinforced Plastic right—so just stronger casing plus the side entry port that is supposedly more efficient. so clean & clear (CCRP200) seems to be the best choice for me in terms of performance.

and thanks to all the advice and comments.

mas, at 300 ft² that's going to be a very large unit right?
As cartridge filters get larger, the diameter grows but not by a lot. I have 425 sqft filter and it really doesn't have that large of a footprint on the pad. If you close the pool for the winter, you could probably get away with a 200 sqft but if not, I would strongly suggest a 300 sqft filter. The CCP320 would be a good choice.

hi mark. i'm in asia (no winter :)) and has a pool boy that will clean it weekly.... or every other week. i realize that getting a large filter would allow less cleaning but wouldn't cleaning it regularly be better than leaving the dirt inside for months on end? although all that cleaning will shorten the life of the filter media. i'll be concern though if it will make my pump less efficient 'coz it can't handle the cleaning time interval.

but wouldn't cleaning it regularly be better than leaving the dirt inside for months on end?
Not really, as the filter gets dirty, it actually filters better. There is no harm in leaving the dirt in the filter. I clean my filter only once a year.

i'll be concern though if it will make my pump less efficient 'coz it can't handle the cleaning time interval.
That is why a bigger filter is better.

Plus you will probably need to pay the pool boy more if he is cleaning the filter more often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.