Birds. Help!!!!!!

Apr 1, 2012
Hi
I hope I'm in the right section for this question

just installed semi inground 3 weeks ago andall of a sudden I'm over run with birds in the yard and they are constantly sh**tin all over the pool even in the water any ideas how to keep them away a little it's drivin me nuts not to mention how discusting it is my kids are swimming in there!
Thankyou

If they are after the water you might try setting out a container of fresh water away from the pool and running a fountain in the pool. You can also try using a pool cover when the kids are not swimming. If there are trees above the pool you may need to cut the branches back some.

I have this same issue! from some careful observation this is my finding: Here in Wisconsin the problem I have is its Grackles. my neighbor has a large Pine tree in her backyard Plenty far away from the pool (est. 40-50 yards) and well on her property (so cutting the tree down is not an option, though I pray lightning hits it with each storm). But its not that they are Sh@#*@^ in the pool they are actually cleaning out their nest. They carry the poop land on the edge of the pool and deposit the droppings. at least it seems they are not trying to put in pool directly (I give em props to this). I have tried the Owl does not work (at least in my situation). Here are some ideas I have been given that I haven't tried as of yet. Hanging CD's from the trees (they dont like the reflective light). a large floating alligator in the pool (trying this one soon). Fishing line on edge of pool.(will not do as I have four small children and I'm betting this would cause problems) A BB gun (does this fall under the BBB Method of pool Maintenance?)(Probably not and could pose a major issue near 21,000 Gallons of water none the less a little inhumane as tempting as it is). wait till June sometime when babies leave the nest (This seems like my only working solution at the moment) so I will keep you updated as to any success/failure I have. Please let me know if you find a solution as this is a pain in my you know what cleaning the droppings up everyday after work Arghhhhhh!

I know this problem intimately.
Bought our house 4 years ago, there is a spruce hedge that runs down both sides of the property, in summer 2 I trimmed back the tops so it stays low and I actually pulled out 21 NESTS!!!
It's true that the adult birds carry the droppings out of the nest and I swear the pool acts as a target, I've found that a solar cover then acts like a bird bath.
So:
- it's true that they will move out when the baby birds learn to fly, keep the solar cover off during the day so they won't land on it
- scoop out droppings from pool floor, I can confirm that I do this everyday and my FC/CC levels are still good
- clean the solar cover with a hose regularly
- try to get rid of the nests if at all possible and break the reproduction cycle, some people may not like that but grackles are aggressive birds, they move into other birds nests, they will kill other species of chicks and they will swarm/kill other birds.

My trees are about 18' off the ground and they nest relatively high, they build their nests where a branch meets the stem and they build them down from that point, so they are below the limb. I have a modified pole about 15' with a 2-3" lag bolt thru one end, I get on a ladder and use it to pull the nests down and they are tricky to get at. I will admit their nests are pretty impressive, watch their behaviour and you'll tell where they are nesting, if they swarm you your getting close.

One thing about the BB/pellet gun solution (which really is the best solution), I believe they are part of the Migratory Bird Act which (unfortunately and irresponsibly) protects them in Canada and the US, so whatever you do make sure you keep it to yourself :wink:

Wow!! What you are talkin about with these grackles is exactly what is happening with me sorry to hear about your problem but at least I'm not alone ha ha.
I just vacuumed and cleaned all the poop and I put up an owl decoy tonight so I will let you know how that works out. What you guys are saying about the birds behavior is exactly what there doing so when the birds leave the nest will this poop situation also stop?
Thanks for the help

Well amazingly it was like a flip of the switch! I got home yesterday and no bird droppings and no sign of the Grackles either. I am assuming the babies had left the nest. So unfortunately I didnt get to try any solution but Birds beware I will be prepared next spring!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I guess I'm a little behind birds are still here n poopin I put out the owl decoy.......kinda worked for 1 day but still here and lookin for there nest must be on neighbors property hope they leave soon!!!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.